🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What phone should I get?

Started by
23 comments, last by frob 7 years, 10 months ago
I'm planning to buy a new phone. However I don't know what to get. Here are some of my options but I would reallyyyyy consider any recomendations that are not currently in my list. Also I'm a programmer wanna be so if youre going to recommend any please consider that.

Samsung Galaxy J8:
Not yet released but I can wait till it gets released on the Q2 or Q3 this year (if the rumour is true).

Iphone 6s:
Expensive and they might release iPhone 7 on september. How much would it be priced when iPhone 7 gets released, I mean they will decrease the price right? Like what normally happens when new models get released?

BlackBerry:
I just feel like the keypads are its best so I can write codes while I'm away and just copy it into my pc but ofc I can do that with other phones too but lets just say if I have a touchscreen phone I would probably not write codes in it like I would do on blackberry since you know touch pads are lame.

Ubuntu Phone:
I might probably wait for the next release If I'm going with this one. Other the high spec, multi tasking, camera, what else does Ubuntu have that makes it different?

Your recommendations:
Give me your best shot

Save up:
Don't buy a new phone just use your iPad, Pc, and borrow your mom's phone when you need one (I know its a lool, my phone is trashy with the lag and bugs and my sister frigging put a password in it as if she owns it /facepalm)
Advertisement
I have a Nexus 5 and really like it. It doesn't come with any carrier software which is great. I actually get android updates as they come out. My previous phone was a Galaxy and definitely prefer the Nexus.
My current game project Platform RPG

If you are looking for an actual phone, get a basic dumb phone. They are very cheap. Get one prepaid, no data plan. The cost is generally 10 cents per minute, for most people it works out to around $10-$20 / month. These phones are usually cheaper than landlines and popular around the globe due to low cost of being a phone.

Smart phones are actually terrible at being a telephone. They're great at being a mobile computer, but phone apps are often slow to respond and audio quality is terrible.

But based on your comments, you're not looking for a phone.

If you are looking for a mobile computer that can surf the web, look at cat videos, check in with all the social media, record endless hours of video, and also on rare occasions also make phone calls.

For that, my recommendation is either the current iPhone or current Google Nexus device, depending on which ecosystem you want to join. I still recommend a prepaid plan. You buy the phone outright and pay around $1/day for data and 10 cents per minute of actual phone calls, works out to be $30-$40 per month rather than the hundred or more per month contracts that are popular right now.

I'm with Lumia 620, it's a cheap phone and works perfectly. ( Bought it for ~150 USD 3 years ago in Europe)

The battery life is pretty long,

The camera is midioka but works fine for me.

The phone itself is pretty strong, I've dropped it saveral times and the screen doesn't have a scratch.

The screen is 3.8 (for me thisi s a good thing) with great quality of the picture.

The phone DOESN'T have an FM radio.

I second the recommendation for a Nexus. I have a Nexus 5 which I think it wonderful, no-bloatware, no fuss when programming for it. Always one of the first devices to get newer versions of Android.

For me the main points were a phone without loads of junk that I don't need, don't want and can't get rid of. I also wanted a phone I could program for without hassle and if you do intend to make any Android apps (you sound quite flexible when it comes to OS from the phones you listed) then having a 'pure' device is a good first step.

Nexus 5 is reasonably old now but it is plenty powerful. I don't know if there is a more modern equivalent of it that has a similar sized screen (any bigger would be too big I think).

Interested in Fractals? Check out my App, Fractal Scout, free on the Google Play store.

BlackBerry:
I just feel like the keypads are its best so I can write codes while I'm away and just copy it into my pc but ofc I can do that with other phones too but lets just say if I have a touchscreen phone I would probably not write codes in it like I would do on blackberry since you know touch pads are lame.

If you want a smartphone, don't get a blackberry. They're basically circling the drain. As far as writing code on it, well, yeah, you could, but you probably won't (or if you do, you'll drive yourself nuts).

If you just want a smartphone for calls, mail, text, occasional browsing, etc, either get an iphone or a Nexus (try both if you can, and just pick whichever one makes the most sense to you).

If you're interested in developing apps and making money, get an iPhone. People spend more on iOS.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

BlackBerry:

If you want a smartphone, don't get a blackberry. They're basically circling the drain. As far as writing code on it, well, yeah, you could, but you probably won't (or if you do, you'll drive yourself nuts).

If you just want a smartphone for calls, mail, text, occasional browsing, etc, either get an iphone or a Nexus (try both if you can, and just pick whichever one makes the most sense to you).

If you're interested in developing apps and making money, get an iPhone. People spend more on iOS.

Is it still true that people spend more money on iOS?

I am an iOS developer myself but, over the past couple of years I've been doing mostly large scale banking and finance apps that are given away for free so not too up to date on the actual market place. Certainly when I wrote my own apps and games in the past iOS was the platform that made money and with iAds even apps that I haven't maintained were making money until Apple shut the service down earlier this year.

BlackBerry:

Is it still true that people spend more money on iOS?

I am an iOS developer myself but, over the past couple of years I've been doing mostly large scale banking and finance apps that are given away for free so not too up to date on the actual market place. Certainly when I wrote my own apps and games in the past iOS was the platform that made money and with iAds even apps that I haven't maintained were making money until Apple shut the service down earlier this year.

Oh my yes.

"iOS App Store brings in 75% more revenue than Play Store despite difference in downloads"

http://9to5mac.com/2016/01/20/app-store-ios-downloads-vs-android-revenue/

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
I run a Droid Turbo 2 and love the hell out of it. Battery life is phenomenal (2 days without a charge on average) and as far as Android devices go it's one of the better ones of its generation. They should be fairly affordable compared to cutting-edge stuff.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

I know that not much people like Windows Mobile but apart from lack of apps, I'd prefer a Lumia 1520, 930 or preferably 950/950XL which has lower prices especially in US. But from a coder view, I'd recommend an Android or iOS one, just after getting used to tile based UI of Windows, others look annoying and ancient to me.

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement