🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

nVidia helps to provide AI for driverless formula race cars

Started by
19 comments, last by BrianRhineheart 8 years, 3 months ago

I guess I should have put a qualifier on that previous statement. I thought that the contexts would have made it clear enough that I was referring to AI which would be used in place of humans for productivity/safety/etc. Your accounting AI probably shouldn't make random errors from time to time so that everyone can spend extra effort tracking down where the issue was. AI for a game, art, or entertainment isn't really remotely the same realm.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

While I do find all the possible ways that AIs could end up killing us a bit scary, particularly when I let my imagination can run wild, I gotta say, robot race car races sound like they could be really awesome!

AI doesn't need to be perfect, it just needs to be consistently better than humans on average.

People make a huge deal about "Well what happens if it KILLS somebody!?!" to which the proper logical reply is "So what if it does?" Human drivers and doctors kill hundreds of people per day across the globe. Possibly thousands a day, I haven't actually looked at numbers on the global scale. Even if AI drivers kill dozens of people every single day... Well, it is still a step up from where we are now if we ban human drivers on public roads.

That an AI caused the death of a human isn't important. What everyone will want to know is, who do we direct the lawsuits to?

the car manufacturer which directs it through a bulk deal on Insurance through an insurance company.

And in conclusion of this topic of emergent AI, I'd just like to say:

databeard.jpg

Source: https://scifun.files.wordpress.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement