🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone know where I can get free posters?

Started by
14 comments, last by Scopemark 8 years, 2 months ago

I'd like to get some free posters for video games or video game companies to put in my classroom for my game design course. Anyone have any ideas? Apparently the companies won't let retailers give them away- in fact they make them destroy them when done! As far as checking company websites, they are too big to know who to email for requests.

Advertisement

This question doesn't belong in the Game Design forum. Moving it to the Lounge.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Anyone?

If you email the companies and explain what they are for a lot of them will send you swag for free. I know the websites are tricky but you will need to just figure out who to speak to. It could be somebody in marketing or some big companies might actually have somebody who works specifically with education who would be able to give you a lot more than posters.

Also if you can try to attend a conference or two. I know the big ones like GDC or E3 are expensive but if you could get to one or two of the smaller ones and chat with some of the developers or speakers there they are usually happy to sort you out. You could also try networking with other games educators from other schools or universities.

Assuming your school has a print department you could just find the poster graphics online and get them printed off for you.

Thanks!

Any ideas on what I should display? Leaning more toward industry and academic ads rather than pure video game ads.

Any ideas anyone? I'm just going to buy them as it's too hard to find people at these companies who can help.

I'd go for posters from actual game development platforms or tools developers (Unreal, Unity, Gamemaker) and also a few from stand out or genre defining games (Mario , Tomb Raider).

Also this probably sounds a bit strange but, from friends that teach various courses they always have to use posters that are "inclusive" ie reflect various genders or stereotypes.

I'd go for posters from actual game development platforms or tools developers (Unreal, Unity, Gamemaker) and also a few from stand out or genre defining games (Mario , Tomb Raider).

Also this probably sounds a bit strange but, from friends that teach various courses they always have to use posters that are "inclusive" ie reflect various genders or stereotypes.

Thanks. So if I contact those companies do they have posters? That seems easier than contacting corporations, which are big, impersonal and don't seem to give a hoot about anybody.

You know what's weird? Both Yoyo Games and Unity deny having posters they can send me. Clearly they are lying, so I wonder why nobody in the video game business wants to advertise their products in classrooms? This leaves only colleges who will provide freebies advertising their programs.

Anyone know why the game industry is neurotic in this area?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement