🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for ideas on how to teach Game Design in a high school

Started by
159 comments, last by gameteacher 8 years, 2 months ago

Is this an active forum? Can I get pedagogical support here?

Advertisement

1. Is this an active forum?

2. Can I get pedagogical support here?

1. If you had looked at the posts, you would have seen that their dates are very recent. Several dated today, yesterday, the day before... So yes, it's active.

2. This is a game design forum. We don't have any teaching-oriented forums. But I'm game. What aspects of game design do you want to teach? Do you have experience designing games yourself?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks. I saw there were recent posts but wasn't sure how many threads were getting responses.

I have no experience in game design. I am an art teacher who plans to teach it from a design-oriented aesthetics perspective. I have been told that game salad, scratch and unity are all free and (I assume) relatively easy to learn and use.

I plan to fit this new content (game design) into the curricular format I have been using, and I will be reading up on game design to gain knowledge on the field. I am wondering what others think would be the main things to teach in a game design curriculum, or better yet, where I might find a forum of game design teachers who could share curriculum with me.

I have been told that game salad, scratch and unity are all free and (I assume) relatively easy to learn and use.

Those are not Game Design. Those are game creation tools. If you want to teach those, learn how to use them first. Sounds like you are a Mac guy (as opposed to Windows), but that's normal for artists.

To teach Game Design, most people start with analysis of existing games - board games, card games, video games. Board game design is usually used next, to teach principles of play. If you want to find educators to talk to, I recommend going to igda.org and joining the game education SIG. This is probably the wrong website for you. I'll probably need to move this thread to the GDNet Lounge, since you are not actually asking about game design but rather education from an educators' POV.

I tried the site you recommended but you have to have a paid subscription.

You shouldn't have to be an IGDA member to join the SIG. Try googling igda education sig.

I am an art teacher who plans to teach it from a design-oriented aesthetics perspective.

hmm... tough. as in sounds like a bit of a challenge.

much of game art is about reigning in the artist's creativity to the limitations of the medium. and those limitations can sometimes be shocking to the uninitiated.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

I started off with some game design using the Dark Basic software suite... wouldn't recommend it :)

Game 'design' versus coding (getting bogged down in details when you want broad understanding...)

You can have use of a few tools like a 2D editor as an example to create a texture and have a prerigged display of it to get an introduction to the idea of simple assets. Present the more complex assets (how 3D bone animation is done, even rotoscoping to get the flowing data needed for animations)

Story Boarding as the 'art' approach (freehand drawing to illustrate ideas)

Introduce the basics of what a 'game ' is : what the player does, what the program must do, flow of the interaction between those two.

Basic operation of multiple players (ie- taking inputs from player(s), resolving the interactions, displaying to the players the results... what data flows back and forth peer vs client(s)+server operations.

Spectrum of different game types and intents abstract vs realistic, fun vs competition, etc....

--------------------------------------------[size="1"]Ratings are Opinion, not Fact

A few points:

• Game development is a huge subject. If you want to talk about it, be prepared to either provide an extremely broad-yet-shallow overview, or to dive into a very limited subset of the total field. If you do the latter, be very upfront with your students about what they will be covering in your curriculum, or there will inevitably be loud disappointment.

[/*]

• As an educator I should hope I don't need to underscore to you the importance of not teaching from a position of complete inexperience. I appreciate that you're making the effort to learn about this subject, but I hope you also take it to heart that you will only be able to deliver a small amount of content to your students, and therefore you should choose very wisely what you want to teach.
  • [/*]

• You need to decide sooner rather than later what you really want to talk about. Game design is certainly something you could teach from an arts perspective, but game art might be better suited. Or maybe you really do want to talk about design, in which case electronic games are probably too advanced to do in your first-pass course material. I'd strongly recommend talking about the design motives of games outside of video games in particular - stuff like board games, pen-and-paper (or live action!) roleplaying games, and so on. The principles largely transfer over and the examples are infinitely more practical to implement for a student with no prior exposure.
  • [/*]

• Seek support. Do not go alone. The IGDA Education SIG is a great start and can probably link you up with more resources than I could even begin to think of. In any event, make sure you are getting advice, guidance, and - most of all - strong material from people who actually do this all the time. You can get some tidbits from former game design students, professionals, or even armchair educators, but again I hope I don't need to admonish you (as a teacher) to be careful about biasing your sources. Listening to people who have taught the subject you want to teach - successfully or otherwise - is going to be the single best thing you can do. I don't know how many people fit in that camp on this forum.[/*]
  • Wielder of the Sacred Wands
    [Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement