🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for Very Quick Q&A with Developer for my Son's School Project

Started by
5 comments, last by frob 7 years, 2 months ago
Greetings All!
My Son is in the 8th Grade and is working on a project that requires him to interview someone in a field that interests him. He has chosen Video Game Development. He has a list of 8 quick questions he needs to ask a developer. Would anyone be so kind to help him/me with this?
If you have a game/project you've participated that you can link me details on it would be a big help as well.
Questions:
  1. What are some of the duties and responsibilities in your job?
  2. Does your job feel like a job, or career?
  3. What special training and/or college prepared you for the work you do?
  4. What other jobs have you had that prepared you for the work you do?
  5. What high school (and college) courses prepared you for this position?
  6. If you had to do it over, would you choose the same career?
  7. What has been the high point of your career?
  8. What do you dislike about your job?
Thanks so much in advance!
Advertisement

Keeping within budget.

Testing the game, making sure it works and is fun.

Most of the time, though, we tend to go over the budget and forget to check to see that the game works or is fun.

Like a job.
Online tuition.
Game tester.
English.
No.
Finally seeing natural light again.
The work.
Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile.
Life is short, the craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult.
Words by Hippocrates.
Something that Peter Norvig made reference to and kinda stuck with me. He makes a good point.
Since then, I've decided to position myself ahead of the curve, by exclusively designing and developing Artificial Intelligence that can develop video-games all by themselves.
It's gonna be the next big thing.
BR

I'm a game developer and my discipline is programming.

My general duties are to help determine what needs to be built based on descriptions of features and descriptions of designs. Build it, and also help others build it. The job is software development generally, I tend to focus on software architecture. Computer code is applied mathematics, every instruction is something that can be described in math terms.

Many people view game developers with movie star syndrome. We are normal folks working regular jobs. Some days are stressful, some days are lax. Some are particularly fun, others dull. As the years pile up, you either decide to manage your career as a career, a series of transitions, or you end up having life happen to you rather than you controlling life. The sooner a person realizes they need to take control of their own destiny, the better off they will be at forming a career of their choosing.

Game programmers typically have a degree in computer science, and getting the degree forced me to study topics I would not have studied otherwise.

Game programmers need a solid math background. Some people can get by with math through linear algebra and using iterative methods usually taught through grade school, but such people struggle to advance in the field. Developers need linear algebra because that is the math of 3D worlds, trigonometry because that is the math of 2D worlds and display, they need calculus so they can solve problems directly, they need statistics so they can figure out all those distributions designers use for probabilities of things happening. Additional math is helpful. Game-related topics like physics, music, art, are all useful. Non-game topics and real world experience are useful so you understand life when trying to incorporate it to your projects.

Game developers in other disciplines, design, art, music, etc., have different backgrounds, most except testing do best with a college degree supporting that field.

Every job has given me life experience. In games there is no useless knowledge or useless experience.

When hiring entry level workers, I look at their job history to ensure they know how to hold a job and know how to work. Even if that job is flipping burgers, stocking shelves, or tending the till, it can show they know how to work with others, know how to an assigned job, know how to show up to work every day.

Math and sciences prepared me the most. During high school I self-taught computer science topics among my friends. This was the years before the Web existed, so it meant inter-library loan for books since the system had few, and ordering from book lists at the local book stores. I ended up taking the AP Computer Science course during my junior year along with about 20 others, a group of us convinced a teacher and the administrators to add another course (unfortunately not for college credit) my senior year.

Yes. I love creating games, and I love creating software.

Each year brings new high points, for me. Completed projects, watching people grow and develop, problems solved, challenges overcome, helping people accomplish goals. There is much to enjoy.

Every job has challenges that go bad. I dislike when I cannot find good solutions to the problems at hand. In that case I usually need to find some alternative solution, often less than ideal. I also dislike when I need to fire someone, or when I'm laid off from a position (which thankfully is rare for me, but too common in the industry).

I have known several people who don't meet the challenges. I' have known about (but never worked under) bosses who take advantage of people, and heard horror stories of workers who failed to push back against them or tell them they were wrong. Some of these people work brutally long hours and, for reasons of their own, accept the situation even if it may be unfair or unlawful. As the industry has matured, these situations are much less common.

I have also known people who have struggled through the hoops to get in to game development because they loved playing games, only to discover after doing it that it is not their passion. Playing games is fun, but different from making games. Just like watching movie is different from making a movie, eating food is different from making food, watching a sport is different from playing a sport. If you get into the field, make sure your passion is for actually making rather than playing.

Hey, just to give you a different perspective, being a developer doesn't have to be your actual job. You can do it as a hobby too! It's what I did. If you do it as a hobby, then you'll have to make simpler games most likely, but it's perfect for the mobile world where simple games can thrive, and you can still luck out and make great money if your game is a winner. I'll answer the questions based off my experiences.

1. My duties and responsibilities were everything since I was a one man team. Design, artwork, coding, sound effects, music, testing, release, and other stuff I can't think of.

2. Well, it feels like a hobby for me because it is one. But it's a hobby that requires lots of work and dedication.

3. I develop for the iOS. I took one class in college on iOS programming (in addition to some prior beginning programming classes). After that, I was able to learn on my own through online guides how to game program for the iOS.

4. No other jobs prepared me for game programming. It was simply school and self-learning.

5. Same answer as question 3 I suppose.

6. If I did this over, I would choose a more universal language for game development. Probably HTML5 & Javascript. That way I could more easily create multiplatform games.

7. The high point was releasing my first finished game successfully unto the iOS app store. It was a lot of work, and the game was not succesful at all moneywise, but I learned so much through it. It was a great experience!

8. There's not much I dislike about game programming as a hobby. I can imagine people getting burnt out if they have to do it as a full-time job though.

The main thing to take away is that it's perfectly possible to do game programming nowadays as a hobby on your own or with a ragtag group. It's not the end of the world if you don't get a job in it :)

Edit: Sorry if this doesn't apply to your son's assignment and if he needs answers from people who do this as their primary job.

Mend and Defend

these topics seem to pop up very frequently, wouldn't it be better to have a sticky where people can answer those questions and add new questions instead of having the same replies on multiple threads?

If he is still interested, I can take some time to chat via skype or discord.

It has been more than a year. His school project is likely a distant memory.

Closing before more replies come in.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement