🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hololens kit $3,000?

Started by
11 comments, last by Nypyren 8 years, 5 months ago

It should be pointed out that the "First gen VR sets" sold to consumers were on the market nearly 20 years ago. We're coming a long way from there, and have a long way to go with them.

Will it be expensive and will few adopt it quickly? Yes, of course. However the same can be said about Radios, then TV, then Colour TV, home computers, 3D accelerated computers, HD level resolutions, 4k resolutions, etc.

The most common display size was still a standard 1080 monitor in the steam hardware survey last I had looked (The next most common was smaller, and followed by having TWO 1080 monitors I believe.) and that is ancient tech by today's standards of what can be done.

VR display will have its place. I know that I would much rather drive racing and flight sim games on a medium res VR set compared to flat monitors of a similar computing power, because there is frequently stuff 'in other directions' that I want to glance at than what can be rendered in a setup using multiple panel monitors.

Of course it won't be suitable for everything, but it doesn't need to be. It just needs to be able to be comparable to a high res quality 3 monitor setup and the graphics cards to drive them... Which honestly most sets already are after you account for the cost of 3 good monitors, good stand, and a reliable head tracking device.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

Honest question:

If valve's vive is already tracking head's rotation&translation, and has a camera on the outside... what stops this piece of hardware from supporting AR very easily?

I mean, if I know where your head is and what are you looking at... what stops me from showing you the camera input + something added to it?

Honest question:

If valve's vive is already tracking head's rotation&translation, and has a camera on the outside... what stops this piece of hardware from supporting AR very easily?
I mean, if I know where your head is and what are you looking at... what stops me from showing you the camera input + something added to it?

I think I heard that it actually does support that (or will). Could just be rumor. I haven't been keeping close tabs on the Vive yet.

This is critical for me, as I have some cool ideas for VR apps, but ones that still require a normal keyboard. And you need to be able to see where the keyboard is to use it effectively.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement