🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3 years lack of vigilance! Another normal day

Started by
1 comment, last by Binomine 8 years, 7 months ago
Data vigilance and Security has always been a delicate issue so many times, for so long and so often that it has become a non-issue
So I didn't see this headline "router maker finds unauthorised code" as any big deal, until I read:
"The range of products affected suggests that the extra software has been lurking inside different versions of ScreenOS since 2012." and consequently exposing VPN... at least according to this article
For a company that supplies routers to ISPs , this seems like another normal working day! OR is this the mother of all lack-of-vigilance-crime?
... I'm missing something, I thought VPN is supposed to be secured, at least Wikipedia back me up on this

VPNs allow employees to securely access the corporate intranet while travelling outside the office.

Implication: would you trust communication which involves your company's most sensitive data over VPN?

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

Advertisement

I thought VPN is supposed to be secured

(emphasis mine)

The only constant in security is that it can be royally fucked up a hundred ways from Sunday, and there's only one right way to do it. Which would be to hire a very expensive team of security experts and engineers, and trust no 3rd-party software whatsoever. For obvious reasons, very few companies operate this way...

would you trust communication which involves your company's most sensitive data over VPN?

Your choices are (a) trust a VPN, or (b) don't communicate over the internet. Since (b) is is clearly not acceptable in this day and age, you trust a VPN. Though apparently, not a Juniper Networks VPN.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Implication: would you trust communication which involves your company's most sensitive data over VPN?

No. The Snowden documents seem to indicate that VPN is not a problem for the NSA. Even though VPN is secure theoretically, there's a few points of attack, such as everyone using a few seed numbers, that makes it probably not safe if you're trying to hide from the government.

If you're using VPN to hide from your competitors, and your competitors don't really have the pull to use governmental espionage to read your secrets, then you're probably safe.

Relevant XKCD:

https://xkcd.com/538/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement