Advertisement

Life in the UK and Ireland

Started by December 08, 2015 01:59 PM
43 comments, last by Brain 8 years, 8 months ago

the home office will only accept payment via cheque.

This is true if you're posting it to them, they will accept cheque or postal order.

If you applied for it online, as with other documents like the driving license, road tax etc, you pay via debit/credit card via an online system.

As it turns out, large parts of the States still rely on cheques to pay rent. I challenge you to pay rent on an apartment in Boston without mailing a cheque...

If you live in a shiny new apartment tower in a major city, they will usually accept a electronic bank transfer for a nominal fee, or credit card payment for a whopping great fee (to cover the processing charges levied by the credit card processor).

The UK is somewhat ahead of the curve on this one, personal cheques started dying out a lot earlier there.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
How are credit-card interest rates etc.?
In Japan there are no extra charges for using your card unless you split it over multiple months.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

First I'm assuming you want to avoid payday load credit card - those are horrendous rates. For normal banks its usually very competitive. This an example of the rate from the bank i use

halifax-credit-card-black-offer_d_1x.png

• 0% for up to 37 months from account opening on balance transfers within the first 90 days.
  • 0% for 6 months from account opening on purchases.
  • An initial 3% fee applies, we'll then refund 0.45% on balances transferred within the first 90 days.¥

You may receive a shorter balance transfer introductory period and different APR based on your individual circumstances. At least 51% of successful applicants will receive a representative rate of 18.9% APR (variable).

¥ Minimum £100 balance transfer. An initial 3% fee applies; we'll then refund 0.45% within 90 days, so the effective fee is 2.55%. The refund applies for balance transfers in the first 90 days from when we open your account, after which a 3% fee applies for each balance transfer.

Representative
18.9% APR
(variable)

Purchase rate
18.95% p.a.
(variable)

Based on borrowing
£1,200
over 12 months.

Credit limits and interest rates will vary based on your individual circumstances

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

I have only used credit cards in Japan, and since bank people don’t speak English and credit-card information is in advanced Japanese on their site and mail, there is no way I could have understood any of the rules etc.
Basically that boils down to: Pay everything each month and there are no extra charges, right?

By the way, PayPal allows linking to your bank account in America and not in Japan. How about in the UK? Linking means being able to withdraw from your bank account, not just transfer to it.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

I have only used credit cards in Japan, and since bank people don’t speak English and credit-card information is in advanced Japanese on their site and mail, there is no way I could have understood any of the rules etc.
Basically that boils down to: Pay everything each month and there are no extra charges, right?

By the way, PayPal allows linking to your bank account in America and not in Japan. How about in the UK? Linking means being able to withdraw from your bank account, not just transfer to it.

L. Spiro

Yeah pay your balance of in the first month and you don't get the interest charge. However not a lot of people in the UK use credit cards like this. Most people choose to use debit cards and really only use credit cards like a loan. A lot of places since 2008 are still offering 0% finance too so not much point risking getting stung with the credit card payments.

One thing to be wary of with cards is which cards you can use. Visa and MasterCard are fine but, if you have American Express you may want to get a new card because a lot of places won't accept them.

In the UK you can link Paypal to your bank account or card. Also a few stores even Paypal at point of sale. Last time I got my car serviced I paid the mechanic at the garage using paypal.

Advertisement

All shops now use touch and go cards so you don't even need to swipe. The London underground also accepts touch and go credit cards to enter too (you are charged instantly).

Not all shops do contactless; the trend is very much there but I still encounter places which only have the old (ha! 'old') chip-and-pin machines on a daily basis.
That said, I'm willing to bet in 6 months that won't be the case, just a matter of places upgrading their machines.
(Co-op and Boots I use has contactless, Tesco and Sainsbury's don't yet for example, this is down in Brighton so not some backwater place either.)

The underground working with contactless however is great and how things should work.
(I wish they could sort this for the whole UK train network tbh, or at least have some unified smart card scheme. Right now I can use contactless to travel on the underground in London, and I have a smart card for travel to work, London and Gatwick, but if I want to get back to my home town I still need a dead tree format ticket... *grumbles*)
1. I can't speak for every city, or getting _everywhere_ within a city. But I've managed without knowing how to drive, and my impression is that things are much better than the US. I manage with a combination of walking, public transport and taxis. London is especially good for public transport (well, it can still have its problems, but trying to drive through London in a car will just involve lots of traffic and generally won't be quicker). For travelling across the country, the rail network is reasonable, but note it's biased towards London - getting from or to London, or travelling between points on such a line, is well supported, but travelling elsewhere across the country is more of a pain, and in the south may often involve going via London (there's a reason someone came up with the "British Rail" metric space). One downside of not owning a car is that it may limit your choice of where to live - that is, living away from the town/city centre (where prices are of course cheaper/houses are bigger) is less feasible. Another point to note is that overnight public transport isn't as good (the London tube stops running so you have much slower buses; most national trains stop running around midnight or shortly after). Google Maps directions now makes travelling via public transport much easier, due to being able to link different company/transport systems altogether.
2. I'd agree with other comments that there isn't much of a range in standard of living, but there is variation in cost of living, salary, available jobs.
3. The Royal Mail works well. Sometimes parcels/etc are sent by companies using private firms that are more of a pain (including due to their depots typically being miles away, so not feasible to pick up because you weren't in during their "anytime between 6am and 9pm" delivery slot - Royal Mail depots are much more common - also see point 6).
4. I use direct debit for all bills except my credit card, which I pay by debit card (direct debit is still possible for that though, this is my choice not to).
5. Cheques still exist but are increasingly rare (I only use them for B&Bs that either don't except a credit/debit card, or pass on the fee). Even for banking between individuals, we've had the ability for years to send money to someone between banks online, instantly (my understanding is this has been less common in the US). I also used to use cheques to pay my rent. One thing I will say about cheques is they're a right pain for me to receive (I have to go to the bank), but very easy to give (not as easy as card, but easier than me logging into my bank account, faffing with the security system, entering their account details and sending) - so if someone is willing to take a cheque, I don't mind writing them one.
6. Yes. Amazon in particular have collection places such as lockers in loads of locations, but I believe there are also more general pick-up points for other companies.
7. There's a reason the British are stereotyped for talking about the weather - it varies a lot. I noticed it rains a lot less now that I don't live on the coast (so bear in mind that the "it rains a lot" comments are likely dependent on where they live). A good thing is we don't have the extremes that some places do - sometimes it snows but we don't get loads; sometimes it's a hot summer but not massively so. The flipside is that therefore we're less prepared for it - a bit of snow causes problems; most homes don't have things like ceiling fans or air conditioning (though at least some offices will, especially if full of computers that might overheat).
9. In response to "However you do not need to be a UK taxpayer to receive treatment." - yes it's true that hospitals won't be refusing treatment or giving people bills, but note that non-EU immigrants now need to pay £200 per year for their visa duration (now 5 years before you can remain indefinitely) to cover possible health costs, on top of the usual visa fees, and on top of paying for the NHS through taxes. On a more general note, things in the UK have become much harder for non-EU immigration in recent years, and this seems to be a continuing trend.
12. I couldn't say what's typical. I get life insurance, private healthcare, long term sickness cover benefits at mine.

In Japan, the debit card, train pass, and credit card are all on the same card. I swipe my credit card to get onto trains and pay the bill later. How about there?
Credit and debit card are typically separate (how does it know which you want to pay with?)
Cards have been contactless for a few years. Although traditionally train passes have used tickets or cards, the London transport system now supports paying by contactless debit/credit card.

Pay everything each month and there are no extra charges, right?
This is true of my credit card at least (Barclaycard). Some accounts/cards may have monthly charges, but it's not the normal situation.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

I don’t suppose anyone knows this, but just in case…

I know I will get whatever visa I need to be able to work there, since moving there by definition is because I was hired by a company.
But my fiancé wants to work as well, though not in a “skilled” trade, which means her ability to work depends on my status after we are married.
For that reason I need to know as soon in-advance as possible specifically what kind of visa I should expect going there as a senior game programmer.
One condition for her to be able to work is that her spouse (me) has “settled”: https://www.gov.uk/settle-in-the-uk
I would need to know what kind of visa I would have in order to know if I can even apply to settle, but from the test runs I did they all take 5 years anyway, which is out of the question.
Here is how she would apply: https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family

I’m guessing no one has gone through this, but I am throwing it out there just in case. I’d like to know this before I apply anywhere since it would be a waste of time if I get through the interview and then bring it up and they say there is no way.

L. Spiro

You should maybe visit uk embasy in Tokyo, at least for issues of your wife, since I suspect your native country is not Japan. Then also maybe you should visit embasy of your own native country in uk once you are in uk, and your wife should check Japan embasy once in uk.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement