🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Life in the UK and Ireland

Started by
43 comments, last by Brain 8 years, 7 months ago

I am looking for insight into life in the UK and Ireland.

For now I have a few specific thoughts, but feel free to volunteer information (and of course include about which area you are talking, since it is obviously different everywhere).

How is public transportation? In most cities you can get everywhere without a car?

Which part has the most modern standard of living overall? London?

How is the post? Is it a major part of life or uses as rarely as possible?

How about paying bills? I never paid bills in America but I recall seeing on TV they send checks via mail to pay.

How about checks? They don’t exist in Japan due to being inconvenient.

How about mail? Can most packages be delivered to your local convenience store like in Japan so that you don’t have to be home nor have to go to the post office?

Weather?

Wall-socket voltages? Compared to Japan. I don’t want to short out everything I own by plugging them in.

Health care?

Insurance?

Are dental and medical stupidly considered separate like in America, or correctly considered the same like in Japan?

What is a typical benefits package at a company?

Finally, it would be great if anyone could throw out any high-end game-developer names from there.

Of course I am looking through long lists such as these: http://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?country=England&state=London&city=&query=&type=Developer

But as you can see the list is really endless—that is just one city. Their UK listing doesn’t work, so I have to go through each country individually, and then there is a huge list and sometimes I don’t even realize that X company made awesome Y game.

So aside from Rareware, Sony, Rockstar North, Guerrilla Games, Media Molecule, and Jagex, what am I forgetting?

Are some of these new defunct or in otherwise bad standing? I haven’t been keeping up with the news lately.

Thank you for any insights into little annoyances or conveniences regarding life in the UK/Ireland.

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

Advertisement
Wall-socket voltages? Compared to Japan. I don’t want to short out everything I own by plugging them in.

That'd be 230V (everywhere in EU, not just UK/Ireland -- used to be 240V in UKI and 220V on mainland, but it's been standardized for a decade or so) rather than 100V, but virtually every electric device manufactured during the last ~20 years has a regulated switch-mode power supply which will work with anything from ca. 80V to 300V. Of course, you may have a problem if they still have those US-style El Cheapo plugs without grounding receptacle in Japan (I think they do?) simply because you won't be able to plug them in. Usually, cables are un-pluggable on the device side though (unless it's super cheap crap), and you can get a proper cable for 1-2€.

1. How is public transportation? In most cities you can get everywhere without a car?

2. Which part has the most modern standard of living overall? London?

3. How is the post? Is it a major part of life or uses as rarely as possible?

4. How about paying bills? I never paid bills in America but I recall seeing on TV they send checks via mail to pay.

5. How about checks? They don’t exist in Japan due to being inconvenient.

6. How about mail? Can most packages be delivered to your local convenience store like in Japan so that you don’t have to be home nor have to go to the post office?

7. Weather?

8. Wall-socket voltages? Compared to Japan. I don’t want to short out everything I own by plugging them in.

9. Health care?

10. Insurance?

11. Are dental and medical stupidly considered separate like in America, or correctly considered the same like in Japan?

12. What is a typical benefits package at a company?

1. Almost every town/city is linked by the national rail network. Buses coverage is very good in all towns/cities, not so great in rural areas. If you live in a town/city you do not need a car. That said, if you have a license, you can buy used cars very cheaply. At the lowest end, maybe 300-500 pounds for a disposable car (wont pass its MOT next year).

2. The country is pretty homogeneous, standard of living doesnt really vary. That said, cost of living can vary a lot like everywhere, London being the most expensive, and typically getting cheaper the further north you go.

3. Postal service is fine. Only really comes up nowadays for online purchases and christmas cards.

4. Bills are usually paid with direct debit.

5. Cheques are not widely used anymore.

6. Packages can be held at the nearest depot. (this may be the one circumstance where a car is useful as depots are not always conveniently located)

7. Weather in the south is good, south east especially. Gets steadily worse as you go north.

8. 220v in general, bathroom sockets will do 110v

9. Healthcare is covered by the NHS, you pay for this out of your wages (before tax). Everyone pays the same regardless of circumstance, and you cannot opt out.

10. Private health insurance is available, but typically not required.

11. NHS covers *some* dental expenses, but expect to pay additionally for fillings, crowns, etc. The cost of these things is however much lower than in the USA.

12. A typical job offers little in the way of benefits, as the state provides enough to keep you healthy.

Having moved from the UK to USA in the last 3 years, there are certainly differences in lifestyle, but these differences are really not that great.

Just to expand on a few points above;

1. I'm 35, until last year I never felt the need to learn to drive. Most towns you can walk across and I'm ok with taking 30mins to walk in to a town. Driving might be a thing if you have 'annoying' journeys to make. I had to travel from the Midlands to East Anglia, which involved £90 return ticket, took 3h+ and went via London; driving would have reduced both per trip cost and time by around half. That said, I still don't know how to drive, currently daily commute involves a 10min train ride, although if I felt that way I could do the 4 mile walk, but, well, time...

4. Bills are, as said, either direct debit or card payment. (Shopping in shops is now a mix of chip and pin or contactless. Card signing is basically gone.)
5. Cheques are basically dead; see above.

6. Packages can now be delivered to shops or dedicated collection points which are increasing in number. Depending on the office many places of work will be ok with having stuff delivered there.

10. Assuming this is non-health insurance; housing, content and car at the main types. Life insurance exists too.

12. Benefits tend to be a case of holiday time (20 days legal minimum, excluding bank/public holidays), 'cycle to work' schemes where the company buy a bike and you pay them back (or something like that), claim back health cover (you pay costs, claim back money spent), pension schemes (legal requirement being phased in). Some places offer full health cover.
Expect to pay twice as much for everything within London, basically the cost of living is doubled but wages are equally higher there.

House prices get cheaper the further north you go, with few exceptions such as gentrified areas of towns such as Edinburgh and Leeds.

This means if you have a car and are able to commute, live as far north as you can tolerate and work as far south as you can bear.

Your bank balance might thank you for it :)

If you work in a city and live near the city, public transport is tolerable. It is usually unclean, smelly and late/slow, but it's always there and for regular short urban distances can be cheaper than owning a car, as the big cities Manchester and London have a congestion charge where you pay to take your car into the inner city. Cities such as Nottingham have a parking levy, additional costs to normal car parking used to fund better public transport.

I speak from experience of living in Nottingham and the east Midlands most of my life.

I never paid bills in America but I recall seeing on TV they send checks via mail to pay.

Here in the US checks are rapidly becoming passe (with accent aigu). Most payments are now either automatic from your bank account, or payable online with credit/debit/bank.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I live in Suffolk, near Cambridge, which is home to Jagex, Ninja Theory(Heavenly Sword) and Frontier(Elite:Dangerous). Oh, Lionhead(Fable) in Surrey(just outside London) is another company to add to your list.

Weather is miserable and only between April and September do you get nice weather. Travel into London is bloody expensive and a nightmare, but a lot of pros tell me its the place to be for work.

I hope this helps.

Languages; C, Java. Platforms: Android, Oculus Go, ZX Spectrum, Megadrive.

1. How is public transportation? In most cities you can get everywhere without a car?
2. Which part has the most modern standard of living overall? London?
3. How is the post? Is it a major part of life or uses as rarely as possible?
4. How about paying bills? I never paid bills in America but I recall seeing on TV they send checks via mail to pay.
5. How about checks? They don’t exist in Japan due to being inconvenient.
6. How about mail? Can most packages be delivered to your local convenience store like in Japan so that you don’t have to be home nor have to go to the post office?
7. Weather?
8. Wall-socket voltages? Compared to Japan. I don’t want to short out everything I own by plugging them in.
9. Health care?
10. Insurance?
11. Are dental and medical stupidly considered separate like in America, or correctly considered the same like in Japan?
12. What is a typical benefits package at a company?

I live near to Cambridge and commute to London a lot. Have never been to Ireland (yet!)

1. People like to complain about public transport but it is generally good. We have a prolific train service to get all over the country. Bus routes in towns and cities. In London there is also the underground tube train system and Taxicabs (although taxis in general exist all over the place). So yes you can get around without a car, no problem. Trains and buses might be late from time to time though. If you live outside of a city then a car is actually a pretty viable option too, it's not that hard to get a license and cars aren't (or don't have to be) all that expensive really.

2. London has the full spectrum, you'll find some of the lowest standards of living there as well as some of the world's best. For the average citizen I would actually argue they have lower standard of living in London (and most cities in fact) on the basis that most of my city-dwelling friends live in rented flats shared with flatmates, whereas I (living outside of a city) live in a 2-bed house with just my wife and I pay about the same monthly cost.

3. Post is provided by Royal Mail. It's reliable. If a letter goes undelivered it's a talking point! Individuals rarely send letters though. I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter, whereas I receive post almost daily. Most of what you receive are summaries about your banking or bills (which can be handy), the rest is basically spam.

4. Bills are paid with direct-debit or standing-order. So you set them up once and forget about them (just keep an eye on your online banking).

5. Cheques (that's how we spell it) do exist but are rarely used. Your bank will issue you a cheque book when you open an account. Only once in a blue moon you will have to write one, usually if the company you are dealing with is low-tech and even then it'll just be a one-off thing like a deposit.

6. Yes! We have a lot of options in that regard. Obviously there are post-offices, as you mentioned. But we can have online orders be delivered in-store for collection. Some stores even offer "reserve and pay" where they just hold stock for a period of time and you only pay when/if you come to collect. We also have services like Collect+ (and similar) which is a service opted into by private establishments where they act as collection points for your parcels so you can collect them later, they could be petrol stations, corner shops, supermarkets, etc. I've used that many times for Amazon deliveries. Sometimes I also just order stuff to my work offices, especially with Amazon Prime's free next day delivery (I usually know where I'll be tomorrow and just order stuff there).

7. Stereotypical weather is rain, especially in Ireland. In fact it's not raining all the time but it certainly can rain at any time of the year. Brilliant hot weather and clear blue skies are only available for 2-3 months of the year, if that. Get's cold in Winter, some years we have snowfall, some years we don't.

8. 230V 50Hz. Bear in mind that devices which were developed for cross-regional markets will likely work on a variety of rated voltages. You might just want to check laptop power adapters, USB wall chargers, or anything that is potentially intended for a Japanese-only market.

9. Public healthcare is dominant here, called the National Health Service (NHS). We do have private healthcare too, for those who can/want to afford it. You'll pay taxes as you earn to fund the NHS regardless of whether you use it. It's a strained service but still manages to offer high-quality healthcare IMO. It's one of those things you appreciate more if/when you suddenly find you need it.

10. We have all kinds of insurance (health, property, car, pet, etc). I guess you're referring to health insurance? It exists but I would say most people don't bother unless you want private healthcare.

11. More or less considered separate. There *are* NHS dentists, but they are few and far between, if you live near to one then you're lucky. Most dentist practices are private. Same goes for opticians.

12. It varies. The most common one is "competitive salary" ;-) Many companies don't offer one. You might get employee share options as an incentive. Gym membership/discounts. I always think RedGate offer an unusually good benefits package. Pension schemes are widely offered but then they are in fact (nearly) a legally enforced requirement for companies to provide and over the next few years workplace pensions will be a hard legal obligation for all companies (you have a state pension too).

Finally, it would be great if anyone could throw out any high-end game-developer names from there.

So aside from Rareware, Sony, Rockstar North, Guerrilla Games, Media Molecule, and Jagex, what am I forgetting?

You probably named the ones I was going to say. Perhaps just worth pointing out that companies like EA, Ubisoft, Microsoft Studios, Square Enix, etc have studios here in the UK too, but they're not 'from here' as such. Do you enjoy working for one of these already? If so you could consider asking for a transfer.
Don't forget Creative Assembly in Sussex.

I never paid bills in America but I recall seeing on TV they send checks via mail to pay.

How long ago was that? Are you really serious about your enquiry whether people in the UK still pay by bills sending checks in the post? When I read that I almost thought the rest of your post was a joke. Maybe the oddballs here or there independent of the facilities available, otherwise its direct debit

If you work in a city and live near the city, public transport is tolerable. It is usually unclean, smelly

Hey common spare Notts the dissing.

I guess its a slip of the fingers on the keyboard for braindigitalis. Nottingham public transport is lovely, clean and smells great. Better still if you prefer the trams to the buses

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement