Advertisement

3x(2560 x 1440) or 1x(3840 x 2160)+

Started by November 25, 2015 04:06 PM
18 comments, last by Hodgman 8 years, 9 months ago

What Matias said -- 1 big one is good for gaming, but 2(+) screens for work is a must smile.png

The 1440p screen are also great for gaming, and amazing to code on if you rotate them 90º biggrin.png

I started using a 26" 1440p in portrait and a 22" 1080p in landscape, and can't go back now:

I feel suffocated when workplace is that crowded (and also if not room is spacious) , just wondered if it's me or a common situation :)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

I feel suffocated when workplace is that crowded (and also if not room is spacious) , just wondered if it's me or a common situation

Kind of interesting how people react differently to space setups. I find that single large screens tend to feel more crowded and awkward, while multiple slightly smaller screens, with a small bit of space/bezel between them, tends to feel more comfortable, organized, and less like 'in your face'. I'm also not overly bothered by working in smaller spaces, especially when I have multiple screens that I can put information on and have 'something to see' when I turn my head to look in different directions.

I could happily work in a windowless office that was say, 4x5, with a sliding door and good air conditioning (as in air flow, humidity, temp, etc, not just 'a/c makes things cold' air conditioning.) as long as the lighting and noise control was decent.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

I feel suffocated when workplace is that crowded (and also if not room is spacious) , just wondered if it's me or a common situation

Kind of interesting how people react differently to space setups. I find that single large screens tend to feel more crowded and awkward, while multiple slightly smaller screens, with a small bit of space/bezel between them, tends to feel more comfortable, organized, and less like 'in your face'. I'm also not overly bothered by working in smaller spaces, especially when I have multiple screens that I can put information on and have 'something to see' when I turn my head to look in different directions.

I could happily work in a windowless office that was say, 4x5, with a sliding door and good air conditioning (as in air flow, humidity, temp, etc, not just 'a/c makes things cold' air conditioning.) as long as the lighting and noise control was decent.

Pity I am very picky (wasn't when young, developed that habit later) about working conditions ( I believe that is partly my internal procrastination mechanism ) . My dream workplace is quite spacious (enough for me to pace when thinking) with large whiteboards, natural air flow both for cooling and air quality reasons (I despise artificially conditioned air).

My previous desk was 250 x 150 cm without any drawers, was nowhere near practical but was spacious :)

mostates by moson?e | Embrace your burden

250x150cm? Dude, that isn't a desk, that's a small conference table. :P But I do enjoy having access to large work spaces, and for some projects I would say I need them, but for a lot of general programming I find it really isn't all that important for me. (I really should have joined the navy and been a submariner apparently.)

But a big thing that I find really impacts a work space is having a good set of arms for my monitors. Being able to reclaim all that desk space by getting the monitors Off the desk surface entirely is awesome. I'm really thinking that I'm going to go to a 'wall mount' style next, even if it gets mounted onto something I build to the back of the desk. even the "Pillar" style mounts that come up from the top surface of the desk can be annoying when it comes to laying out papers.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

My previous desk was 250 x 150 cm

Man, and I thought my 80 inch (200 cm) desk was crazy.

I bought it that large to fit a triple-head 27" 1440p setup, but I'm very glad to have gone the single 40" 4k direction instead. 2/3 the number of pixels, no bezels, and half my desk back.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

What Matias said -- 1 big one is good for gaming, but 2(+) screens for work is a must smile.png

The 1440p screen are also great for gaming, and amazing to code on if you rotate them 90º biggrin.png

I started using a 26" 1440p in portrait and a 22" 1080p in landscape, and can't go back now:

MdQJmKo.jpg

How often does inside of your PC gets dusty and how often you clean it?

Advertisement

I hate multi screen for work, i'd always go with a single bigger screen even if the total resolution is much lower.

I always feel that multiple monitors is going to make me work better. But second monitor always just ends up having an internet browser, Slack, Spotify, and random Finder windows open on it. Which I guess does make me work better since I don't have to tab out of my workflow to see what else is going on. Three I could never see a point to for work. Gaming on the other hand.

Three I could never see a point to for work. Gaming on the other hand

Bezels are terrible for gaming, in my experience. Why settle for 3x displays with bezels, when you can get a single display big enough to fill your entire field of view?

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Three I could never see a point to for work. Gaming on the other hand

Bezels are terrible for gaming, in my experience. Why settle for 3x displays with bezels, when you can get a single display big enough to fill your entire field of view?

For the wraparound field of view in space and racing games. But now that curved TVs and monitors are becoming a thing a single one of those would do much better.

Yeah for racing/flight games or even some FPS's, a 16:3 (3 x 16:9) aspect ratio is really nice. A single big screen doesn't provide any extra FOV, while the triple screens give peripheral vision, going from not being able to see either side-mirror in a car, to being able to see both :)
In competetive FPS, it's almost cheating to give yourself that extra horizontal FOV :lol:
In some FPS's, it is seen as cheating, so instead of expanding the horizontal FOV, they instead just shrink the vertical FOV -- in those games, using 3x screens is a massive disadvantage...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement