Advertisement

Hack-proof website, why not?

Started by October 23, 2015 06:08 PM
93 comments, last by ronan.thibaudau 8 years, 10 months ago

Heh. This reminds me of a honey pot I put in several of my sites. Embedded deep inside is a plaintext string in a url request that looks like sql. It's only purpose is to be checked for changes and is in no way part of the database code. If it's been changed the curious person trying to tweak it ends up temporary firewalled and an email alert comes to me...

Did it ever get triggered? happy.png

Yeah they get triggered so often I end up muting the email lol. Oddly enough very few people ever email me to tell me about the "hole" ;)

Why exactly are you using the URL for anything related to security? Do you not have a credentials based log-in session setup? /TheClearAndEasyToUnderstandFileName or just /YourFiles is a whole lot cleaner and easier to deal with from a user's standpoint.

I guess that is already answered by ronan.thibault: his server should not contain any user data at all:

We don't really store "Customer data", what can be hacked (not on our system, but outside as it transit on the net) are actual 3D models generated from sets of pictures of a given person, those are pretty much uninteresting except for the given person.

So I guess he intends to use the URL to contain such session information (how exactly he handles session failures like browser crashes and so on without the customer loosing access to the generated model IDK, but he mentioned that he only described the service and how it works in parts, which is understandable)...

There's no "user" nor "session" nor "login", it's public access, if you have the url you can download the file, there's nothing to keep, there's no webpage, you get a link, you click on it, you download, if you have the link then you have the rights to download without providing other proofs.

From a user standpoint it changes nothing, they get an email to download "model.zip" link which is a link to the long url, they click, they get a popup to download model.zip asking where to save it, they don't type nor see the url.

Advertisement

Anyone even remotely related to security (or things that should be secure) should check this out:

void hurrrrrrrr() {__asm sub [ebp+4],5;}

There are ten kinds of people in this world: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Anyone even remotely related to security (or things that should be secure) should check this out:

I'm 13 minutes in and i don't think anyone related to security is unaware of those things so far, it's good pedagogic material for people who aren't involved in security and need to be taught about it (CEOs etc)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement