Advertisement

So, I upgraded to Windows 10...

Started by August 16, 2015 11:42 PM
19 comments, last by SmkViper 9 years, 1 month ago

OK, weird problem. I had to edit a glm header in the Windows Kits directory. I was using VS 2013 and edited the file just fine. When I go to save it, it wouldn't let me! I had to save it to another directory and copy the file back for this to work. Even that brought up a warning dialog. I am running as an Administrator and have turned off the UAC. Anyone have a clue what is going on?

I'd just create a new directory, and make that directory be the place where you install your third party libs.

For me, it's:

C:\Programming\MinGW\Qt 5.4.0 x64\include\glm

C:\Programming\MinGW\Qt 5.4.0 x64\lib

C:\Programming\MinGW\Qt 5.4.0 x64\bin

C:\my directory\compiler\compiler-build\sub-folders\

Then you add the extra paths to the Windows environment path (i.e. %PATH%) or to Visual Studio's internal environment paths.

I find it curious that it didn't do this in Windows 7.
Advertisement

Depending on what directory you were in, it should've done that in Windows 7.

Some directories are protected. Unless you ran notepad in admin mode, it wouldn't have been able to save the editted file. But if you saved it elsewhere and copied it over, then Windows will prompt you for permission to elevate the authority of the copy (like you describe). I've had that experience in Win7.

I've edited header files within the Windows Kits directory directly from within Visual Studio without issue. It has to be a change with Windows 10 UAC.

This is interesting. I like Solitaire. I will not play the Windows 10 version as it is currently made. When I deleted the Windows 10 version and tried to run the Windows 7 version, Windows will not even acknowledge that I am trying to run the app. Double click and I get the little timer cursor for less than a second and then nothing. Right click and choose "open" and I get nothing. Odd. It is the same for the Windows 7 versions of all of the games. There is no reason why this should be happening, except that Windows isn't allowing them to run.dry.png

This is interesting. I like Solitaire. I will not play the Windows 10 version as it is currently made. When I deleted the Windows 10 version and tried to run the Windows 7 version, Windows will not even acknowledge that I am trying to run the app. Double click and I get the little timer cursor for less than a second and then nothing. Right click and choose "open" and I get nothing. Odd. It is the same for the Windows 7 versions of all of the games. There is no reason why this should be happening, except that Windows isn't allowing them to run.dry.png

Maybe check in Event Viewer for crashes. You could be missing some dlls that it is expecting to run.

I would expect that kind of a problem before I would believe that Microsoft is maliciously blocking a program.

Eric Richards

SlimDX tutorials - http://www.richardssoftware.net/

Twitter - @EricRichards22

Advertisement

Why not just use the windows 10 solitaire?

The windows 7 solitaire may need to be installed.

Why not just use the windows 10 solitaire?

The windows 7 solitaire may need to be installed.

It has ads in it which you can pay to disable, but people want it for free without ads, without having to find and download a free solitaire app from online. smile.png

Windows will not even acknowledge that I am trying to run the app. Double click and I get the little timer cursor for less than a second and then nothing. Right click and choose "open" and I get nothing.

Interesting, i've had this issue happen with a single program, i opened up command prompt and started the program and it ran fine. For whatever reason windows explorer just refused to launch the application. Only had it happen once though, and didnt repeat later, so i don't know why it happened.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
OK, weird problem. I had to edit a glm header in the Windows Kits directory. I was using VS 2013 and edited the file just fine. When I go to save it, it wouldn't let me! I had to save it to another directory and copy the file back for this to work. Even that brought up a warning dialog

It seems that you found one feature where Windows 10 is actually better than Windows 7. Every since then (or maybe in Vista already? I'm not sure I remember correctly), it has been Microsoft's stance that you are too stupid to decide where to save a file. So, for your own good, and because you are too stupid, Windows will prompt you for Administrator rights if you have UAC enabled, and will "virtualize" what you are doing away silently otherwise. At least that's how it used to be.

Good to see this shit seems to have been removed in favor of simply denying you access. Which is still annoying, but not nearly as much as being lied to by your operating system. Nothing is more annoying than saving a file and getting no error, everything is fine, and then later realizing that everything isn't fine at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement