Advertisement

So, I upgraded to Windows 10...

Started by August 16, 2015 11:42 PM
19 comments, last by SmkViper 9 years, 1 month ago

It has ads in it which you can pay to disable, but people want it for free without ads, without having to find and download a free solitaire app from online. smile.png

This. I've tried various free downloads, but the game that comes with Windows just has more polish. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking with the Windows 10 version, but they failed miserably.

Interesting, i've had this issue happen with a single program, i opened up command prompt and started the program and it ran fine. For whatever reason windows explorer just refused to launch the application. Only had it happen once though, and didnt repeat later, so i don't know why it happened.

I'll give that a try.

Good to see this shit seems to have been removed in favor of simply denying you access. Which is still annoying, but not nearly as much as being lied to by your operating system. Nothing is more annoying than saving a file and getting no error, everything is fine, and then later realizing that everything isn't fine at all.

I may end up making a mistake, but it should be my mistake to make. Especially in a programming directory. We are not the average user and have a higher chance of knowing what we're doing. What is odd is that while I cannot save the file from VS, I can overwrite the file from Windows Explorer.huh.png How is one safer than the other?

I may end up making a mistake, but it should be my mistake to make. Especially in a programming directory. We are not the average user and have a higher chance of knowing what we're doing. What is odd is that while I cannot save the file from VS, I can overwrite the file from Windows Explorer.huh.png How is one safer than the other?

As I mentioned before.

"Disabling" UAC only suppresses the prompt. It does NOT run programs elevated by default.

VS does not request elevation when you save, Explorer will request elevation if you try to copy to a protected folder. Therefore, with UAC "off" VS will still not allow you to save, but Explorer will request elevation (get it automatically, because you said it's ok to trash your system), and copy successfully.
Advertisement

I agree with you that it's your computer and it cannot simply be assumed that you don't know what you are doing. However, there is still somewhat of a justification in that (and with UAC you should normally be able to do it, after being warned clicking the "obtain administrative rights" button). It may prevent a computer-unsavy person from fucking up their system (and there are enough people of the "It doesn't work any more, I didn't do anything" kind).

In any case, failing hard and failing early is much better than succeeding and later finding out that you have been lied to (which is how it works in earlier versions).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement