Advertisement

So, I upgraded to Windows 10...

Started by August 16, 2015 11:42 PM
19 comments, last by SmkViper 9 years, 1 month ago

I am currently testing a SSD from NewEgg as one of their "Eggxpert Reviewers", so I thought why not? I installed Windows 7 on the SSD and upgraded. I have to say... I'm actually not all that unhappy with it. I was expecting to hate it and have a fresh copy of Windows 7 installed on another drive just in case, but it's not bad. There are some interface elements that I don't like, like the lack of a visible title bar in a window and the tiles in the start menu, but I am greatly relieve that it didn't default to that abhorrent tile interface!

Anyone know how to remove that "Search the web and Windows" field from the task bar? dry.png I can do without that...

Anyone know how to remove that "Search the web and Windows" field from the task bar? dry.png I can do without that...

Right click taskbar -> Search -> Hidden

The secret is to try right clicking on everything.
Advertisement

Right click taskbar -> Search -> Hidden

The secret is to try right clicking on everything.

Thanks!

Of course, I could have use the field to search for the answer... Couldn't pass up the irony though...

Of course, I could have use the field to search for the answer... Couldn't pass up the irony though...

"Cortana. How do I remove you?"

"I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't let you do that."

I would upvote you, if I could! biggrin.png

I actually tried that, she just sent me to a Bing search.

Advertisement

"I'm sorry, Davechief, I'm afraid I can't let you do that."

FTFY :P
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
OK, weird problem. I had to edit a glm header in the Windows Kits directory. I was using VS 2013 and edited the file just fine. When I go to save it, it wouldn't let me! I had to save it to another directory and copy the file back for this to work. Even that brought up a warning dialog. I am running as an Administrator and have turned off the UAC. Anyone have a clue what is going on?

OK, weird problem. I had to edit a glm header in the Windows Kits directory. I was using VS 2013 and edited the file just fine. When I go to save it, it wouldn't let me! I had to save it to another directory and copy the file back for this to work. Even that brought up a warning dialog. I am running as an Administrator and have turned off the UAC. Anyone have a clue what is going on?

Your first problem is you turned off UAC. (Sorry, couldn't resist - not the time or place to argue computer security practices)

In Windows there is no real "Administrator" account. Programs will not run elevated by default and so will not have access to writing to protected folders (like where the SDKs are usually installed). You'd have to run whatever program you're trying to do editing in as Administrator first.

Edit: Put another way, turning off UAC allows programs to run elevated without asking the user. It does not actually elevate all programs.

This is just Windows' way of telling you "you shouldn't be doing this".

I'm not sure why it happens with UAC disabled (I always run with UAC enabled) but as a general rule, freely editing files in system directories is going to end in tears for ~99% of users, so Windows makes it just about awkward enough to discourage the casual meddler.

Direct3D has need of instancing, but we do not. We have plenty of glVertexAttrib calls.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement