Advertisement

You guys - I wanna plug something.

Started by August 06, 2015 09:15 PM
6 comments, last by Erik Rufelt 9 years ago

Don't worry - it's not that bad. This isn't shameless or anything. Although, you know, maybe a little.

Anyway - in February I discovered this little game called The Talos Principle by Croteam that blew me away by feeling almost as awesome as Portal 2 and occasionally feeling much more awesome. Because Portal 2 really was easymode in terms of puzzles. Now, after seven months, having almost completed its first expansion (Road To Gehenna), I want to plug it. Truth be told, I need to plug it, because it's likely the best 10 euros I've spent on a DLC in pretty much ever. So far I've sunk close to 30 hours into it and I still have one star left to collect.

Basically what Gehenna does is something I didn't think was possible any more. Ignoring the original sexy beast that is the main game, Road To Gehenna is a master stroke flashback to the golden era of gaming when things used to be hard. There's no hand holding, no "getting you up to speed with the mechanics" and no bloody dumbing down. If you skip the main game and go straight into Gehenna, you will end up on the bathroom floor with your wrists cut. That's because you need to know most if not all of the mechanics in the game before you can even complete the first puzzle. That's the thing that impressed me the most - it really is a tightly knit hardcore kit for those who enjoyed the main game itself.

The one thing I did feel was that a few of the "secret" puzzles exploited the underlying in-game logic a bit too much - kind of like when you need to do timing jumps between cogs, but you need to know how many teeth each cog has. Speaking of navigating between cogs, after Super Meat Boy, Hotline Miami or even the Portal games, Gehenna will reward your brain in ways you didn't think was possible. Unless you, like, hate puzzles or something.

So yeah - sorry for the pretty overt plug suggestion here. The game (in particular the expansion) paid me to do it (by sucking up what little free time I have these days)!

End Of Plug.

Cool, played that a bit last week actually (the original), will get the expansion once I finish it :)

Advertisement

I liked the game, but (like many other people on the forum apparently) it made me motion sick, which no game has ever managed to do, and it did it in less than 10minutes whenever i played, very heavily past 30minutes and lasted for over an hour after i stoped the game each time.

It's sad because i really loved the game ambiance & concept and without that i'd probably consider it on par with portal 2 (with portal 2 having a rocking ambiance / story but this one being great overall and much better puzzles)

I liked the game, but (like many other people on the forum apparently) it made me motion sick, which no game has ever managed to do, and it did it in less than 10minutes whenever i played, very heavily past 30minutes and lasted for over an hour after i stoped the game each time.

Hm - that's interesting. I played it for hours on end and never felt any motion sickness. I'm actually curious what it could be that made you feel that way?

Could this perhaps be related to the game's field of view? From what I've heard, the wrong field of view (I think that it was a narrow field of view, specifically) can result in motion sickness for some, and changing the field of view appropriately (presuming that the game in question has a means of doing so) can at least reduce the effect.

(I haven't played The Talos Principle myself, and it's been a while since I looked at footage of it, so I don't know whether this is a plausible hypothesis; it's simply an effect that came to mind that seemed like a plausible explanation.)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

Could this perhaps be related to the game's field of view? From what I've heard, the wrong field of view (I think that it was a narrow field of view, specifically) can result in motion sickness for some, and changing the field of view appropriately (presuming that the game in question has a means of doing so) can at least reduce the effect.

(I haven't played The Talos Principle myself, and it's been a while since I looked at footage of it, so I don't know whether this is a plausible hypothesis; it's simply an effect that came to mind that seemed like a plausible explanation.)

Maybe but i know many others were complaining on the steam forum, and almost all of them said they never had that feeling playing any other game (just like me). and got knows i've had a time when i played games 18H/day everyday

Advertisement

Maybe but i know many others were complaining on the steam forum, and almost all of them said they never had that feeling playing any other game (just like me). and got knows i've had a time when i played games 18H/day everyday

Perhaps it just had an unusually nausea-inducing field of view? That might explain it affecting people who are not otherwise affected. However, I do admit that my hypothesis is a guess, albeit one with at least a little foundation, I feel.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

I seem to recall there's an option to help with the motion-sickness.. like a checkbox or something in the graphics options..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement