Advertisement

Microsoft Is Laying Off More Workers This Year

Started by July 08, 2015 09:57 PM
31 comments, last by JohnnyCode 9 years, 3 months ago

Latest figures show that over 30% of CS graduates end up at a job that does not require any college education.
Last I looked, over 62% of all US CS students end up working in a field that isn't related to CS at all.

And of those how many tried to get a job in that field?
How many completed their degree and decided 'screw this?' and got into something else?
How many completed their degree, moved back to Middle Of No Where where the jobs don't exist?

Simply stating number graduated vs number who got a CS job proves nothing beyond the fact it states - not everyone who got a degree got a job.

I've got a friend in the UK, he has a CS degree, he doesn't have a CS job because he doesn't want to move to get one.

Also; [citation needed] on everything you said.

[citation needed] on everything you said.

I do not feel like blowing the page out ...

Employment status of 2014 college graduates

• In full-time, permanent positions: 36 percent (49 percent, 4-year; 25 percent, associate)
  • In part-time, permanent positions: 17 percent (15 percent, 4-year; 18 percent, associate)
  • In temporary or contract positions: 12 percent (10 percent, 4-year; 15 percent, associate)
  • In an internship: 4 percent (5 percent, 4-year; 3 percent associate)
  • Not working: 31 percent (22 percent, 4-year; 39 percent associate)

60% Of College Grads Can't Find Work In Their Field.

Most with college STEM degrees go to work in other fields
Only 27 percent of college grads have a job related to their major

For millions of college graduates, degrees aren't paying off

51 Percent of 2014 College Grads’ Current Jobs Didn’t Require a Degree

Half Of College Grads Are Working Jobs That Don't Require A Degree
America Has More Trained STEM Graduates than STEM Job Openings

STEM Grads Are at a Loss

I'm not playing this game ... Anyone who has a couple minutes can use Google to prove ( or try to disprove ) anything I have stated.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

That still is an irrelevant statistic, a fair portion of CS graduates I know had no desire to enter a CS related field.

We are struggling to fill our engineering positions, so where are all these unemployed CS graduates you speak of? [Hint. probably not actually trying to find work in CS].

And there is the unrelenting wall of spam from recruiters/headhunters me, and pretty much everyone else I know/work with gets (and even without a CS degree and being employed).

The field is rather hit and miss, and general numbers covering even just the US, let alone global stats, can very easily become rather misleading.

To start with having lots of job openings in the market at the same time you have lots of unemployed skilled workers in that same market doesn't mean they're both overlapping in geographic area. (Not Comp.Sci related, but Irving Shipbuilding in Nova Scotia is now scrambling to try and attract skilled labour back from out in Western Canada to do work on a large military contract.)

Also having lots of people with Comp.Sci degrees and programming experience in the same geographic area doesn't also mean they're always suitable for the job openings that are there. While it is true that you could probably retrain someone to fill your specific technical needs, it is not guaranteed that they'll actually be good at the new skills you need that they've never worked in. I'm good with UI and data processing stuff, but I've never really clicked with advanced graphics stuff. Someone could hire me and try and train me to become a great graphics programmer, but if I really do turn out to be complete rubbish at it, then they've just flushed a pile of money down the drain that could have been better used to find or attract someone who is already a known expert at graphics programming.

And even when you have skilled people looking for work in the geographical area you're in, it can still be very hard to actually connect with them. HR jobs are often all about sorting through what is effectively trash to the company to try and find applications that are even remotely suitable for the positions they need. I know that one company I do contract with has real struggles finding people with suitable security clearances, knowledge applicable to their narrow field, and programming experience. It is often a pick two of the tree options with people they can even get to apply, but they can't really hire anyone who doesn't hit all the points.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I got a request to go to lunch with an internal microsoft recruiter today, so my guess is they're dropping their low earning phone department and re-investing it into more valuable positions

I'll take up the offer for a free burger and share what areas they're hiring for.

You are a "grey beard" in the industry.

I took my first industry job in 2012. If I'm a greybeard... God help us all?

How many of that 60% majored in English, or History? Do you find it surprising that there aren't enough jobs in Classic Greek Literature? I don't.

Most with college STEM degrees go to work in other fields

An awful lot of those are people with degrees in physics, pure mathematics, pre-Med, forensics, and so forth. Science fields that are so pure that few employment opportunities existed to start with, and many of those not counted as being related to the field, or 'junk/fad' degrees that no one planned on following up on anyway.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

Well, considering that 199 of 200 applicants for a programming job can't program, 40% of them getting a job doesn't sound so bad.

I'm still want to believe that this is a joke, but on the other hand I've made the experience that 3 out of 4 physicians can't answer (and defend their opinion) a question like "Targetting 1mg/kg, what dose do you give to an average adult, 100mg or 250mg? (those being the two available amounts)".

I've personally interviewed graduates who can't answer "Write a loop that counts from 1 to 10" or "What's the number after F in hexadecimal?"

for (int x = 1 ; x != 11 ; x++ ) { System.out.println("" + x); }

Can I have a job now ?

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think there is some truth to the graduates can't program statement. Im not sure what its like in America but I know in Ireland that some recruiters will make two piles of CVs when graduates apply for a job. One stack is from a certain group of colleges, the big one being Trinity College. These people while they may be in a good name college never really learned how to program and may only have lots of theoretical knowledge. The other pile is from the colleges with graduates who can go straight into a job and start working because they were taught properly. One of them being my own college that I just graduated from. We have 8 months mandatory work experience and because of it, the graduates are far better prepared when it comes to finding a graduate position. Myself and many others from my course are walking into jobs from college over the summer. Obviously a much different environment than America but I have to imagine there are some similar things at work.

Obviously a much different environment than America but I have to imagine there are some similar things at work.

That's pretty much true here as well. Your average straight-out-of-college-with-a-bachelors-in-CS can't program their way out of a paper bag - largely because 'writing production code' is not a subject taught in most CS programs. Some universities are better about this, and actually expose their students to a variety of programming languages and methodologies, but the general idea appears to be that students will figure this shit out for themselves...

The ones who can program competently right out of university are generally those who (like myself) were already competent programmers when we entered university, and programmed as a hobby throughout the program.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement