Advertisement

Cooking!

Started by July 03, 2015 02:30 AM
29 comments, last by boolean 9 years, 2 months ago

I also tried to be cool making meatballs out of Soy Milk. My kitchen was stuck with this sour milk smell for almost a week and I threw away 3 lbs of ground beef

sad.png

Why would meatballs involve any kind of milk?? Meatballs are so simple, they're basically the same as meatloaf, salmon cakes, and crab cakes

- Ground meat, as lean as possible since they can't be drained, unlike hamburgers or taco meat.

- Shredded bread or oatmeal

- Raw egg

- Spice of your choice (Caraway, basil, and rosemary are my 3 favorite options; some people prefer garlic or onions but they make me sick.)

- Optional: add a sauce, such as ketchup, mustard, A1, sweet BBQ sauce, lemon curd, or grape jelly (I thought this would be gross until I tried it, but it was great).

Mix thoroughly and form into balls. Can be baked submerged in spaghetti sauce or pan-fried dry.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I've burned spaghetti.

Then you should probably stay out of the kitchen. Just saying...

Eh, I've managed to burn spaghetti in the past. Using too little water and ignoring it instead of stirring will do it.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement

Setting fire to a bit of spaghetti isn't a horribly hard thing to do if you let yourself get careless with it while it is still dry. Setting fire to it after you've fully soaked it, well, that's a different kind of 'skill', but I've had a few friends who have pulled it off. I try not to stay friends with such people for personal safety reasons however.

I tend to keep things fairly basic most of the time, but exploring new styles of cooking is always fun. Really need to get back into baking more often, home made bread is awesome, but I never seem to remember to pick up stuff to make any. Don't think I even have any bread pans at this point.

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

I tend to keep things fairly basic most of the time, but exploring new styles of cooking is always fun. Really need to get back into baking more often, home made bread is awesome, but I never seem to remember to pick up stuff to make any. Don't think I even have any bread pans at this point.

Depending on what kind of bread you want to make, you don't necessarily need much. The one I usually make is:

- flour

- yeast

- sugar (this is optional but I don't like the flavor without it)

- salt

- water

5 or 6 cups of flour makes 3 small loves or 2 medium loaves, and I cook them on a regular baking sheet. Serve hot with margarine or jam.

Why would meatballs involve any kind of milk?? Meatballs are so simple, they're basically the same as meatloaf, salmon cakes, and crab cakes

The recipe I was using called for milk :( So i decided to use the Soy Milk instead which I use for my protein shakes.

Depending on what kind of bread you want to make, you don't necessarily need much. The one I usually make is:

- flour

- yeast

- sugar (this is optional but I don't like the flavor without it)

- salt

- water

5 or 6 cups of flour makes 3 small loves or 2 medium loaves, and I cook them on a regular baking sheet. Serve hot with margarine or jam.

See, it is mostly that second entry in the list which keeps giving me trouble given that it isn't part of my shopping routine for the rare times I'm the one picking up main groceries in the household, and no one else really has interest in baking breads and such. Also there is usually only all purpose flour in the house, which I've never been overly happy with for most styles of breads.

And good bread is best served hot with fresh thinly sliced ham, butter, and a good mustard and cheese.

If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

Fastest ramen recipe that tastes good:

Margarine + Shoyu

Just throw on the top of the ramen (dry, not the soup style)

Shoyu and margarine is an awesome combination..no need of salt, both already are salty enough

The recipe I was using called for milk sad.png So i decided to use the Soy Milk instead which I use for my protein shakes.

Oh perhaps it was Swedish meatballs, or something like that? I think those take either milk or sour cream, but it's in the sauce, not in the meatballs. Theoretically soy milk would be fine as a substitute, but I haven't tried it myself.

See, it is mostly that second entry in the list [yeast] which keeps giving me trouble given that it isn't part of my shopping routine for the rare times I'm the one picking up main groceries in the household, and no one else really has interest in baking breads and such. Also there is usually only all purpose flour in the house, which I've never been overly happy with for most styles of breads.

If you get one of those big jars of yeast it will stay good in the refrigerator for at least a year, provided you only put clean spoons into the jar to get the yeast out. I use the foil packets myself because I don't make bread often enough to use a whole jar. I know what you mean about the flour - I switched to keeping gold medal bread flour as the standard flour of the house, since it works fine for cookies and other things I would use flower for. It's still not a high gluten flour though, so it's not suitable for some breads (e.g. pizza crust, bagels) unless you want to also keep a thing of vital wheat gluten in the cupboard to supplement it. I've also had trouble finding non-wheat flour - I love Swedish rye bread, the sweet kind made with molasses, but darned if I can find any rye flour.

As far as the ham, mustard, and cheese, I love that served hot on a pretzel roll. smile.png

Have you tried looking for unmilled rye in your area and getting yourself a small grinder?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement