Advertisement

What is the future of the Game Dev. industry?

Started by June 18, 2015 05:11 PM
11 comments, last by Oluseyi 9 years, 3 months ago

Have we reached a creative standstill in game development? What is the future of this industry? Is it logical to think it as a career for the next 30 years or will the massive number of games being developed coupled with the repeating of themes and creation in games bring it to a dead end?

What are the other fields we can expand from here? And assuming that i am a well enough developer.. seeing the near future of the industry should i opt for developing my own games as an entrepreneur or start working to get a job in big firms like Ubisoft ?

I'm interested in why you think games would run out of places to go after thirty years, when the film industry has been productive for over a century and the classic creative fields (literature, art, music) for ten times that or even longer.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Advertisement

People won't stop playing games I know Promit ; but seeing it as an economical activity; as competition will increase piracy will increase so will it be a viable source of good income? And most games today our just a rebuild of old and played out concepts with better graphics , I fear that gamers will one day get bored of this repetitiveness.

...should i opt for developing my own games as an entrepreneur or start working to get a job in big firms like Ubisoft ?

If you have a pessimistic outlook for a given market, then it's probably not a good idea to become an entrepreneur in that market. Your motivation, confidence, and vision will not be strong enough to compete.

Moving to the lounge.

The first way I viewed a game was as an interactive movie. You have still images, moving images, and then interactive moving images... What is next?

Interactive moving images are still images, that have frames that refresh, but the user can interact with these images to manipulate them.

A video game is just a game made using interactive moving images.

Games have been around forever and it is highly unlikely that they will go anywhere. So games will remain, but perhaps the medium will change.

Game development might have started off with cards and dice but it has now taken another medium (computers). The only question left is what will be the next medium/platform?

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

I'm interested in why you think games would run out of places to go after thirty years, when the film industry has been productive for over a century and the classic creative fields (literature, art, music) for ten times that or even longer.

I agree with what you are saying however a big difference with art, literature and even movies is that they have a lot more longevity and replayability than video games.

I can watch movies, TV box sets and read books, look at the same paintings and listen to the same music over and over again. However very few games have the same deployability factor. The are exceptions to the rule but for the majority of games they are just throw away entertainment that in 10 years will only have novelty or kitsch appeal.

And most games today our just a rebuild of old and played out concepts with better graphics

And so are the other entertainment medium. Many movies follow the more than old schematics of the heroe's journey (or monomyth) already present in antic greek litterature. Try to compare Star wars, Harry potter, Eragon, and you'll see this is basicaly the same story with only a different context :)

Or even better in term of repetitiveness there is the marvel based movies (or super hero in general) How many spider-man movie there was? How many hulk? Batman? Avatar which is an exact copy of Pocahontas repalcing the native american by blue alien, and america by pandora. The entertainment industry is full of repetiveness, be it movie, series, music or anime/manga (I don't read enough to judge books) Video games are not the only one.

I can watch movies, TV box sets and read books, look at the same paintings and listen to the same music over and over again.

It's been now a long time that nearly each year I replay and complete the campaign of Dungeon Keeper. And it's a game from around 1998! Would play it again :)

Interesting question, but I'm sure there is nothing to fear for the future of the game industry :D

Posted Today, 10:46 AM
And most games today our just a rebuild of old and played out concepts with better graphics
And so are the other entertainment medium. Many movies follow the more than old schematics of the heroe's journey (or monomyth) already present in antic greek litterature. Try to compare Star wars, Harry potter, Eragon, and you'll see this is basicaly the same story with only a different context

Or even better in term of repetitiveness there is the marvel based movies (or super hero in general) How many spider-man movie there was? How many hulk? Batman? Avatar which is an exact copy of Pocahontas repalcing the native american by blue alien, and america by pandora. The entertainment industry is full of repetiveness, be it movie, series, music or anime/manga (I don't read enough to judge books) Video games are not the only one.

This is true. Isn't there some kind of quote along the lines of "There's only 4 scripts in Hollywood"? Not sure of the exact Quote. As for the comparisons of films. Not sure about harry potter but defiantly Eragon and Star Wars. Eragon is a complete clone of Star Wars.

I can watch movies, TV box sets and read books, look at the same paintings and listen to the same music over and over again.
It's been now a long time that nearly each year I replay and complete the campaign of Dungeon Keeper. And it's a game from around 1998! Would play it again

Which is why there are some exceptions.

I don't think the industry is failing but I think if we aren't careful we will risk history repeating itself. In the mid 80s atari were part responsible for a crash in the games market that affected the entire global economy.

This happened for many reasons but part of it was an abundance of shovelware and licensed movie game trash. They just assumed it would sell because of the name on the box. ET showed them they were wrong.

We see this pattern still today as big publishers haven't really learned. If we aren't careful they'll rest on their laurels too long and studios from the developing world will take their place like Japan took over the console market for near 20 years after that mainly US based disaster.

Be warned! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement