Advertisement

Mouse axes sensitivity, forcing unwilling game ?

Started by June 07, 2015 06:01 PM
2 comments, last by UnshavenBastard 9 years, 3 months ago

I've encountered a few (luckily very few) games now over the years where either the developers f'd this up and then didn't care, or perhaps some retarded game designer thought this was cool: Different weighting of the mouse axes, without any option to set this to your liking.

Example: Metro (2033 and Redux), where the Y axis is much less sensitive than the X axis, which makes the game unplayable for me.

If found some forum threads across the net were people felt the same way, but an alleged solution (mentioned only once and no one reporting success) to set some mouse curve in a cfg file doesn't work.

So I thought, could there be some general way to solve this, once and for all, for every game that would be worth playing if it weren't for that issue?

Does anyone know of e.g. a custom mouse driver that would allow setting profiles with such different weighting factors...?

Or if there isn't already, how would one go about implementing this, if it's possible? I guess if people can write xbox gamepad "emulators" something like this could also work.

Logitech gaming mice come with software that let you change the DPI of the X and Y axes independently and assign different profiles per game.

I haven't searched for manufacturer-independent software that does this, but I would wager it exists.

xbox-to-mouse emulators work by creating input using functions like https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646310(v=vs.85).aspx - however, doing this to create mouse input when receiving real mouse input could cause infinite recursion which would be bad. You might be able to use GetMessageExtraInfo to add a custom identifier to the simulated mouse input so that your software can ignore it, though. I haven't tried that.
Advertisement

Logitech gaming mice come with software that let you change the DPI of the X and Y axes independently and assign different profiles per game.

I haven't searched for manufacturer-independent software that does this, but I would wager it exists.

xbox-to-mouse emulators work by creating input using functions like https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms646310(v=vs.85).aspx - however, doing this to create mouse input when receiving real mouse input could cause infinite recursion which would be bad. You might be able to use GetMessageExtraInfo to add a custom identifier to the simulated mouse input so that your software can ignore it, though. I haven't tried that.

Logitech, I have a G700 and just yesterday installed the never-used-before software to see whether it did suport that, I onwly saw genery DPI settings, not separate for X / Y, but maybe I didn't look properly.

As for the SendInput, I'll look into that, thanks.

Okay, so the software for the G700 does this, but apparently not storable as profile (the X / Y sensitivity distinction), only globally, which is quite an annoyance but works...
Apparently the older logitech software (forgot the name) was better in that regard, but it doesn't recognize my mouse.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement