Advertisement

What drives you in what you like?

Started by March 12, 2015 01:00 PM
15 comments, last by dsm1891 9 years, 7 months ago

Hi guys,

Motivation is awesome, and horrifying, at least I think so. It allows you to completely focus on something for days without thinking twice, or it leaves you staring at the screen thinking "What am I doing with my life...".

So I'm asking you guys:

• What motivates/drives you?

Currently nature motivates me, such as below ( Took a walk ). My drive is that one day we will reach graphics that will be indistinguishable from "real life" through the naked eye.

KkmwR42.jpg

That's about it, thanks for reaching the bottom.

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

My drive is that one day I will create a system called "Skynet" that will take over the world. All silliness aside, I do what I do because I love doing it. I love sitting at my computer every morning and writing code. I love compiling and watching that stuff work. I love solving problems. If I didn't love doing it, I wouldn't do it.

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

Advertisement

Boardom

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Usually the current activities that I am doing at a time motivates me. At this moment, it's custom Lego model design and editing the music we recorded with my metal band. There are times when I don't do anything motivational and I'm not with my girlfriend, that times I'm usually bored and reading shit on the internet (or check how famous I am on the internet wacko.png ).

All silliness aside, I do what I do because I love doing it. I love sitting at my computer every morning and writing code. I love compiling and watching that stuff work. I love solving problems. If I didn't love doing it, I wouldn't do it.

This.

I've never quite understood the need for work to fulfil some higher purpose. I'm generally motivated as long as I have hard problems to solve.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Pure unadulterated rage.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement
Being able to create basically anything you want, That's gamedev for me.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

All silliness aside, I do what I do because I love doing it. I love sitting at my computer every morning and writing code. I love compiling and watching that stuff work. I love solving problems. If I didn't love doing it, I wouldn't do it.

This.

I've never quite understood the need for work to fulfil some higher purpose. I'm generally motivated as long as I have hard problems to solve.

Problems are nice, I just like the feeling of working towards something.

FastCall22: "I want to make the distinction that my laptop is a whore-box that connects to different network"

Blog about... stuff (GDNet, WordPress): www.gamedev.net/blog/1882-the-cuboid-zone/, cuboidzone.wordpress.com/

Problems are nice, I just like the feeling of working towards something.

I fall in the middle there. While a higher purpose is nice, I'd still almost certainly plug away at things for the simple pleasure of programming. When it's going well it's almost a meditative practice :P Stress and anxiety kind of melt away and I can lose myself in solving whatever programming problems. I think I play games for the same reason. I have a pretty disruptive anxiety disorder, so I tend to take solace where I can find it :P

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement