Advertisement

Can I get access to the engine that made nintendo 64 wrestling games?

Started by September 24, 2014 12:10 PM
9 comments, last by aspiringdeveloper1334 9 years, 11 months ago

Or dreamcast would be good too. If not how hard would it be to reinvent the wheel? unreal engine 4 is superior probably but still probably can not be used to create almost identical games to those classics

A dreamcast SDK is not an actual engine is it? I thought AKI and YUKES use their own engines. What is a SDK?

SDK: Software Development Kit

It's a collection of different pieces of software neccesary to develop for some platform. The Dreamcast SDK probably includes some libraries for accessing the hardware, a compiler to create compatible files with the system and more software to deploy and debug games running on the console. It is not an engine, you probably can find some dreamcast SDK (maybe not the official one) on homebrew sites, but it will only be usefull if you want to develop for the Dreamcast.

The Android SDK for example comes with a lot of tools and it configures things like console commands to connect to devices plugged on the PC.

You probably won't get access to those engines, there's a high probability that the company that made them used a propietary one that was never released to the public, so you'll need to buy it from them (if they still exists).

You should be able to create a game like those ones with another engine, why not? It would be easier than creating the engine from scratch.

Advertisement

Wrestling games tend to be technically simple, but require a lot of work in the content part. Consider all the moves, and all reactions to the moves; whether you use motion capture data or pure simulation, the artwork (models, animation, mechanics) still takes a lot of time.

A "wrestling game engine" would have - in addition to a generic game engine - utilities to help with the character interactions (attack and defense animations).

A SDK is an abbreviation for Software Development Kit, and usually consists of libraries and documentation for the purpose of enabling a software developer to utilize a specific technology platform or interface. A SDK is generally, but not always, lower level than an engine which is specialized for a given purpose.

Niko Suni

unreal engine 4 is superior probably but still probably can not be used to create almost identical games to those classics

Not true. You could definitely make identical games with contemporary game engines. But it depends on what you mean by "identical". If you mean literally identical, you would probably have to speak with the original game developers or get access to the source code (because things like AI behaviour is difficult to get exactly the same by just playing the game over and over).

Thanks guys for the information smile.png So I can not use Unreal Engine 4 to create wrestling games? as it does not have utilities to help with character interactions? How hard would it be to make my own wrestling game engine? does one already exist? if so where can I download one? How do people figure out how to make game engines? do they have artistic or planning skills? or does it just take a long time to make? for a long time gaming companies have had the monopoly over people and there is no room for creative exploration for most unless one has a good portfolio of games he can not get into the game industry and it would be considered unethical to reverse engineer the companies game engines and release it to the public. I wish I could make my own indie games without a group? is that possible even if I have to take 12 years? How can I make any good games to work for a gaming company if I have no team and do people still make good games just by using unreal game engine? or are there others skills that are needed to make a good game to impress a company?

unreal engine 4 is superior probably but still probably can not be used to create almost identical games to those classics

Not true. You could definitely make identical games with contemporary game engines. But it depends on what you mean by "identical". If you mean literally identical, you would probably have to speak with the original game developers or get access to the source code (because things like AI behaviour is difficult to get exactly the same by just playing the game over and over).

thanks for your valuable feedback smile.png

why would a game company give me their source code? I wish they would

Advertisement

Thanks guys for the information smile.png So I can not use Unreal Engine 4 to create wrestling games? as it does not have utilities to help with character interactions? How hard would it be to make my own wrestling game engine? does one already exist? if so where can I download one? How do people figure out how to make game engines? do they have artistic or planning skills? or does it just take a long time to make? for a long time gaming companies have had the monopoly over people and there is no room for creative exploration for most unless one has a good portfolio of games he can not get into the game industry and it would be considered unethical to reverse engineer the companies game engines and release it to the public. I wish I could make my own indie games without a group? is that possible even if I have to take 12 years? How can I make any good games to work for a gaming company if I have no team and do people still make good games just by using unreal game engine? or are there others skills that are needed to make a good game to impress a company?

Yes, you can do that kind of games, read the answers again. *If* there was a game engine for wrestling games it would probably have some features to make character interactions easily, but current game engines are capable of it if you know what you're doing.

It takes a lot of time to create an engine, and since you seem really new to this it will take you even more, and it's something so big that you might get frustrated and throw everything. If you want to learn programming start simple, once you know haw to write some code, start with simple games, it's a long road until you get the knowledge to make a 3D game (engine).

To create engines you need experience, but an engine can be a product of creating a game. Creating a good engine requires to know a lot about game development and programming in general. It also depends on what your aim is, you can aim to create a game engine for other people to use, or a game engine only for you, or just create a game and "extract" the game engine from the game. I guess every skill is usefull, but artistic might not be THAT important, most of the times engines work directly with code, not with assets but when you test, say, your ilumination system, it would be usefull some artistic background to analize the results and see possible improvements.

I think it's not unhetical to reverse engineer an engine, you can find "engine rewrites" for old games. Some times the engines used on that time don't exists anymore, or are not compatible with current hardware and/or software, so making them again is the only way to play.

You can make good games by your own or with some friends, but you should know that "good game" doesn't mean "AAA game", don't expect to create something bigger than Skyrim. There are lots of companies that create games that are not incredibly big and complex and you can learn enough to enter those studios. If it helps, I don't have ANY published game, but I worked in one big mobile game development company and now i'm in another. A game portfolio isn't the only way to get into a game studio.

Thanks Diego for that beautiful and informative reply smile.png

I wish I could make my own indie games without a group? is that possible even if I have to take 12 years?

Picking a random N64 wrestling game, WWF War Zone, it was made by:
1x Producer, 1x Project Manager, 6x Game Designer, 11x Game Programmer, 1x Engine Programmer, 4x Sound Engineer, 1x Lead Artist, 5x 3D Artist, 5x Animator, 5x Artists, 17x QA.
Plus outsourcing of: ~a dozen motion capture people, ~two dozen QA people.

The engine programmer had 17 years experience in game programming and porting.

So, to make a game engine, first spend 4 years learning to program so you have the capability to begin. Then, make a bunch of games with existing engines so you have familiarity with the subject. And then at some point when you don't have to ask how hard it is, then you're ready get started on your own engine.
Then spend another 4 years learning 2D and 3D art. Make a bunch of games in these roles so you have familiarity and experience.
Then spend a few more years learning animation theory and practice, and make a bunch more games as an animator.
After making all these games, you've probably practiced a bit of game design, so we'll cross that off.

Now, after about 12 years of warming up, you're ready to begin! Assuming that WWF War Zone took 1 year to make (with each of the people listed above doing 1 year of work), you've only got about 12 years of programming, 11 years of art, 5 years of animation, but add another decade or so of wasting time trying to keep track of the plan, QA'ing your own work, and fiddling with the game design. If you're lucky, you'll be done by mid century biggrin.png

Or you could, you know, not try and remake games solo which originally had teams of ~50 people making them.

Just focus on making things that you pretty much already know how to make, pushing your own limits a little bit in the process. Over time, you'll keep learning more and more about all these different skills, and eventually you will know what's actually involved in making massive games like this.

The general rule of thumb is: If you have to ask how hard something is for you to do, it's not even worth asking yet. If you don't know what's involved (in order to answer your own question) then you're not ready to even begin.

Harsh but fair :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement