Advertisement

The psychic insta-game generator!

Started by August 15, 2014 08:34 AM
2 comments, last by Icebone1000 10 years, 1 month ago

In the novel Biting the Sun by Tainith Lee, the main character at one point plays a game which is generated on the spot based on scanning her mind to find out her likes, dislikes, and what she's currently in the mood for; the game is delivered as an induced dream.

http://www.amazon.com/Biting-Sun-Tanith-Lee/dp/0553581309/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408090909&sr=8-2

That's an interesting scenario, but I think it gets even more interesting if we make it a bit less high tech and more of a conscious process. Let's say we had a truly human-like AI and it could instantly brew up any game you wanted - you just had to seed it with 3-5 memories of something you liked. Recommended memories would be of a book, movie, anime, or other game. If you adore one aspect of your seed idea but hate another, you can specify to the AI which part to include and which to ignore. So! What seed ideas would you pick so the AI could whip up the perfect game for you to play today? smile.png

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

We are getting into Ender's Game ( the book ) now with games generated based purely on the user.

I truthfully could not "seed" a program like that, as my "likes" change all the time ... at this very second I could jam the machine with the seed [ Richard Knaak, Rumiko Takahashi, and maybe some Isao Takahata ]

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

We are getting into Ender's Game ( the book ) now with games generated based purely on the user.

I truthfully could not "seed" a program like that, as my "likes" change all the time ... at this very second I could jam the machine with the seed [ Richard Knaak, Rumiko Takahashi, and maybe some Isao Takahata ]

It would be fine if your likes change all the time - being able to generate games faster than you could play them would be better than the other way around. And creators also make good seeds, I didn't think of that. smile.png

Personally, today I'd go with a mix like Eyeshield 21 (humorous anime about an underdog football team), and Kaitlyn O'Connor (writes FMMM romance novels), and something with chakra or magic like Naruto or Harry Potter. But tomorrow I might be more interested in something with dragons and dragonriders or mechas and mecha pilots, and put the player in the role of the dragon/mecha looking for a rider/pilot. And the day after that, something with time loops like groundhog day and a game interface imposed on reality like The Gamer webtoon or one of the many "video game plot" fanfictions.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Mad Max (the theme), Demon's Crest (the atmosphere), Fallout 2 (the kind of game), can I upload my mp3 playlist as a single item? ;D (that would be for both atmosphere and "story feeling purpose"), hmmmmmm... Evil Dead III: Army of Darkness (the craziness)

play list: ameno, conquest of paradise, bach toccata, o fortuna, ozar midrashin, lux aeterna, man ought to be strong, some enya (shut up! I like enya u_u**), a hero in distress, this one that I dont know what to call, lots of organ musics

(by the way, if anyone can recommend me some, I dont know how to search for "organ musics", searching for 'organ musics' itself returns some lame ones, I want cathedral from hell kind of organ, like Bach)

Thats like the essence of the creative process. Take inspiration from things you like, remove what you dont like, mix it up, fill some gaps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement