Advertisement

What games will stand the test of time?

Started by May 11, 2014 12:07 PM
37 comments, last by JohnnyCode 10 years, 4 months ago

flappy bird

The Neo-Koreans (praise be unto Kim) will still be playing StarCraft:Brood War :lol:
Advertisement

What games from 1014 are you familiar with? According to wikipedia, Chess as we know it today only dates back to the 1400's, so even that hasn't lasted a thousand years just yet. The classic Super Mario Bros is roughly 30 years old and is almost completely unknown to the younger generations (despite Nintendo's numerous, overpriced ports).

In a thousand years, I'd hope that technology will have advanced to the point that we'll all be pseudo-immortal robots colonizing space, or at least able to spend our free time in Matrix-style virtual worlds. Either way, I think we'd see 2014's entertainment about the same way we see 1014's today--we either won't know about it, won't care, or we'll think it was all hilariously crude.

Mario seems to be a household name everywhere I look, younger generations or otherwise. Hell, he was once more popular than mickey mouse and I don't see that having changed since then. Even so, kids still sing that Mickey Mouse song over here in the US.

I think the only games that will truely be remembered in 1000 years are the ones that hve broken the boundaries of being games and entered popular culture outside of games hobbyists.

Mario, Streetfighter, Tomb Raider, Tetris, Angry Birds certainly.

Others such as COD or Mega man I'd have to say almost definatly not.

The ones that will be remembered for millenia are the ones that have TV shows, films, documentories, books, theme parks and indestructable non biodegradable plastic toys made about them.

What games from 1014 are you familiar with? According to wikipedia, Chess as we know it today only dates back to the 1400's, so even that hasn't lasted a thousand years just yet. The classic Super Mario Bros is roughly 30 years old and is almost completely unknown to the younger generations (despite Nintendo's numerous, overpriced ports).

In a thousand years, I'd hope that technology will have advanced to the point that we'll all be pseudo-immortal robots colonizing space, or at least able to spend our free time in Matrix-style virtual worlds. Either way, I think we'd see 2014's entertainment about the same way we see 1014's today--we either won't know about it, won't care, or we'll think it was all hilariously crude.

I'd like to think that even though our technology will be laughable by then some games will still be enjoyable. As you've said chess has lasted 600 years and I have little doubt its popularity will dwindle too much in the next 400. Can't for the life of me conjure up any ideas as to what's been created recently that be could fun past 50 years though. I don't know anyone who busts out the Atari 2600 for knee slapping times since it's so dated.

But in 3014 they won't be playing Final Fantasy 12 for its replay value.

They'll be too busy playing FFIX to worry about that.

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kick-ass http://www.newvoxel.com

Id have to agree that the only games that survive are the very simplest ones.

This is because they are so simple that if you do modifications, most would classify it as the same game.

If you take a more complicated game, such as CoD, and do some artistic changes, its a different game.

It might make more sense to ask which game mechanics will still be present - I doubt we will see many games that run off the exact same code they did 1000 years before. Thus, I would conclude that all 'games' will persist because no matter how complicated the game mechanics of the future will be, it will always remain a pyramid... inverse pyramid because there are more complex mechanics than simple ones... where the simple mechanics are at the narrow tip... u know.

I'd say tic-tac-toe because new programmers will still be trying to figure it out

o3o

Advertisement

Need I remind you that without maintenance, Flash memory, hard disks, VHS tapes, CDs (basically every dynamic digital storage medium we use) will have erased its data within 20 years.

Nintendo's cartridges used ROM and will last significantly longer, but probably still won't withstand 1000 years.

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

in one of michio kaku's speechs, he talks that the only (more like the LAST) valuable things that will exist are intellectual properties. Other things will lose value cause we will be evolved enough to have those for no cost for everyone, or something like that. the concept that everything will be automated, so the value aggregated to production will vanish, and only ideas will be still valuable...or something xD

For what it's worth though, Chess derives from an older game, Chaturanga, that dates back to the 6th century (an ancestor it shares with Shogi). And Go dates back to around the 6th century BC.

And it's also worth pointing out that the vast majority of the art/literature we consider to have "stood the test of time" is less than 500 years old, regardless of medium - notable exceptions including The Tale Of Genji (early 11th century), Romance of the Three Kingdoms (ca. 14th century), Gregorian chant (dating back to ca. 8th century), a handful of Greek plays dating back to the 5th century BC, the Iliad and the Odyssey (ca. 8th century BC), and the Epic of Gilgamesh (2nd millennium BC).

Finally, I'd like to mention that the perspective of the present isn't always a good place to judge what will be relevant in the future. History is replete with artists whose works are forgotten or ignored due to being out-of-touch with popular taste, only to be rediscovered at a later time (and conversely, works that are popular in their day but quickly fade from public consciousness, never to regain even a shred of their former relevance). For example, after Vivaldi's death, his works were forgotten for over 150 years, before being revived in the early 20th century. J.S. Bach's compositions were largely ignored for 50 years after his death.

Well, here I am going forward with the Mario It's been there for more than a decades and still people just love to play Mario. So, Mario is going to keep on standing for more decades.

John Farrell

Technical Consultant

Rapidsoft Technologies Pvt. Ltd.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement