Advertisement

old usenet

Started by May 10, 2014 10:01 AM
11 comments, last by cr88192 10 years, 4 months ago

usenet had its weight (or wideness) and freedom, (no moderetors no drivers how it can look like just a place for posting and tematical hierarchy it was/is good, Im sad it lost popularity)

Usenet had moderated newsgroups, which required approval before posts went active, but don't assume the rest wa an anything-goes madhouse.

The non-moderated newsgroups were semi-moderated with cancel messages. Individual sites and various groups were granted the power to cancel messages, causing them to be obliterated on the server, to stop propagation across the rest of the network, or both. Many location still use automated cancellations, such as when binaries are encoded as text in a non-binary newsgroup. Spam filters are also implemented with cancel message, but usually have a pretty low threshold.

I don't see what you are complaining about; a quick Google search says there are about 20,000 still active non-binary usenet groups out there. And as I mentioned, both comp.lang.c and comp.lang.c++ are still active, both listed in Wikipedia's list of most-active usenet newsgroups. You can still get that feeling if you want it, just point your news client at either of those, or whatever else you think you want to view.

Same seem to be with irc? Is irc in total decline now? Or are there some servers or somethink where I can connest and have 50 - 200 people in one room?

Again, there are islands of popularity. Yes, go find some, if that is what you want. Channels like #C are much smaller than they were in the '80s and '90s, shrinking as #C++ and #Java and #C# grew, but you can still find quite active irc channels out there, too.

seem you have some heroic searching ability Im lacking of

(tnx much for the info) - could you provide the link to most active usenet group list?

also could you hint me how exactly connect to teh popular channels on irc? could i use old mirc client to see this popular channels?

I remember when forums first started popping up after a first couple of years old usenet lost 80% of users. Not to mention when Facebook came to the scene.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz
Advertisement

I still use usenet sometimes, but mostly in the "comp.*" tree.

though, as years go buy, it is becoming ever more of basically groups which are completely empty apart from the random blowing tumbleweeds (AKA: spam messages).

comp.lang.c, comp.lang.c++, comp.lang.java.programmer, comp.arch, ... still seem to be fairly active though.

ones that still sometimes have interesting topics (if albeit activity is low):

comp.lang.misc, comp.compression, alt.os.development, ...

but, there are lots of groups...

but, on usenet, sometimes, though, there are a lot of "crackpots" who go and basically go and make absurd (often technically impossible) claims for which all the code is "secret" lest someone "steal their ideas". ("I can make recursive compression work, just it requires people giving me lots of money!", ...).

then, you have the people who basically dislike mainstream languages and want everything to be done in more esotetic/obscure languages.

and, in my case, I am left in the odd place of seemingly doing the whole language design/implementation thing, but more focusing on closer-to-mainstream designs.

though, not a whole lot of design excitement from people when my main custom scripting language is fairly close to being a C/Java hybrid with an ActionScript like syntax... and my most recent effort basically is just a C compiler (albeit for a bytecode backend, with the bytecode interpreter currently written in Java, *). (nevermind the possibility of a C/Java hybrid with a more C# like syntax...).

*: not going to go to much into specifics, but it has something to do with Android development and web-browsers (and the sad state of many of the existing tools for C compilation in these areas, and being bored / feeling like doing so...). if it gets fully implemented and can run Quake 2/3 (and at playable framerates), this would seem to be doing pretty good. (actually an interpreter written in Dart or JS has also been considered...).

nevermind trying to explain to people why if I can write code in C++ / Java / C# / ..., I would choose to write the majority of it in C.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement