Advertisement

I need your opinion moving forward

Started by May 07, 2014 10:56 PM
11 comments, last by JohnnyCode 10 years, 4 months ago

As an AS3 Flash programmer I believe the market for PC flash games is slowly dying out... After investing in the Flash CS program not too far in the past I have come quickly to regret the decision. I am very fluent with the Flash program and do not want to abandon it but I feel like I have no other choice but to move onto HTML5 ( which I heard makes all of your programming public once released, thus it sucks ) or other OOP language to shift towards the booming mobile market. I would like to ask all you pro's out there for your advice on where I should go next, I seem to be in a pickle at this point in life >> Recently out of college with a mass of debt and a new daughter; so I reach out to you all and ask what would you do at this point?

you should learn opengl/webgl, in case you wish to use 3d context of the <canvas> element, but you do not have to do that in case of 2d context of <canvas> of course.

You should learn javascript, what is a voracious beast that gobbles up programmers without knowledge of low-level languages and instructions in deep depth. Be aware (all the time) that JS is not easy if you fall to this assumption at begining. You will experience depressive mistakes and bugs, but do not make yourself think it is your inapropriatness to code, remember what I told about beast gobling up great programers for breakfast.

If you go 3d, learn vertex-pixel pipeline rasterizing and linear algebra.

Advertisement

I have dipped into JS quite a bit acutally, but mostly just for Box2D and subtle webpage experiments.

What is a good way to create mobile games? Preferably Google Play store / Android

JS is also very similar to AS3

There are several options open for you if you're going the Android path:

1. You can stick with Flash (AIR in this case).
  2. You can learn Java and use the standard Android SDK. Most Android developers do this.
  3. You can learn C++ and use the Native SDK.
  4. Other than Adobe AIR, there are several other platforms that allows you to develop cross-platform apps for mobile devices. Among them are Xamarin's Mono (C#), Apcelerator's Titanium (JS), and in case of games, engines like Unity also support cross-platform development (it allows you to script in several languages).

Unity also support cross-platform development (it allows you to script in several languages).

C# and Javascript. It used to have Flash integration but they dropped it cause of soo many bugs. There may be some other plugins for Lua I think.
"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz

Thanks Truerror I looked into AIR as you recommended and decided to possibly move onto Flash CC.

After a bit of research Flash isn't quite dead thank God. Adobe seems to of been keeping up with the mobile market with AIR and such and even make HTML5?

I just need to move on from CS and into the cloud to be able to be up to date with market I think

Advertisement

If you are willing to abandon Flash,

And you don't want a programming centric environment. (I've allways thought of flash as artist/media centered)

Then you might want to try Unity.

If you don't mind learning "heavy" programming stuff, then you should target iPhone/Android using native code. There seems to be alot of freelance type work for these platforms.

I would definetly not recommend HTML5 for media heavy mobile applications. (On pc-browsers it's a bit better).

My Oculus Rift Game: RaiderV

My Android VR games: Time-Rider& Dozer Driver

My browser game: Vitrage - A game of stained glass

My android games : Enemies of the Crown & Killer Bees

After a bit of research Flash isn't quite dead thank God.

But use it for games ? Thats a bit 1990s for me. Try Construct 2 or Stencyl before you go for Flash.

These are modern visual "engines" made to fill the gap Flash left.

"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Science Fiction Quiz
After a bit of research Flash isn't quite dead thank God

Yeah there's still a few dozen of security updates every week :p

I don't have it enabled in any of my browser, and I certainly wouldn't put it back on for a simple game. I am pretty sure many wouldn't either. Flash isn't dead but the gap it tried to fill doesn't exist anymore imho.

I have dipped into JS quite a bit acutally, but mostly just for Box2D and subtle webpage experiments.

What is a good way to create mobile games? Preferably Google Play store / Android

JS is also very similar to AS3

B4A is easy and powerful.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement