Advertisement

NES console remade in HD

Started by May 06, 2014 02:58 PM
11 comments, last by powerneg 10 years, 4 months ago

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/gorgeous-remake-classic-nintendo-system-160000952.html;_ylt=AwrTWVWt92hTmzwA6PDQtDMD

Though the remade console looks amazing. I wonder who is going to buy for $500. Given the price, I expect the company are targeting collectors or similar people.

Although, I wonder if those Nintendo 3D glasses are made by Nintendo itself or Analogue.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

$500 is really steep, but I would love to own one. Its made by the same folks who do Neo-Geo arcade-to-home conversions (a'la supergun) in really nice wooden cases. They certainly are a premium product. From what I understand, they've designed and manufactured a new motherboard, and populated the CPU and PPU (the NES graphics processor) with original parts salvaged from working but cosmetically-unfit originals. There's no emulation, and its not simply the guts of a common famiclone in an aluminum billet. It's 100% compatible with all games because the key components are the real deal. It supports NTSC (US/JPN) and PAL (Euro, Central/South America) games, and with the proper hardware color palettes too. Then, it also offers RGB, Component, S-Video, and Composite outputs, in addition to two clean audio outputs (still Mono output, but this should still give much cleaner and better-balanced audio). It's kind of a low-volume product by definition though, hence the high price of absorbing all the R&D in relatively few units.

The 3D-glasses are indeed a vintage Nintendo accessory.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

I'd buy it if it was a SNES tbh.

Yeah I am not sure if I want to purchase this. I loved a lot of NES games, but that doesn't mean I have to relive them. I don't think I even own the catridges anymore.

These gamepads are painfull.

Sega Saturn gamepads however are the best ever made!

S T O P C R I M E !

Visual Pro 2005 C++ DX9 Cubase VST 3.70 Working on : LevelContainer class & LevelEditor

nintendo is relaunching nes games on wii u..you think they will allow this?

Advertisement

nintendo is relaunching nes games on wii u..you think they will allow this?

I dunno what Nintendo is gonna do, i suppose they 've already had contact.

But in Nintendo's position, i would give permission for the first ~1.000 - 10.000 sales, i 'd charge money for permission to make more then that.

Nintendo doesn't have any recourse here. They're building these, in part, out of salvaged parts from an original NES, not manufacturing new parts based on Nintendo's designs, and it plays original carts, not ROMs. Besides that, its not like any of the 100s of NES clones are paying them any royalties. Supposedly some of their key patents have expired on the NES, though I've never verified that myself.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

500$ and carved out of a solid aluminium block... sounds like an apple product.rolleyes.gif

Any collector would want the *real thing* anyways, so I don't really know who they're catering to.

Any collector would want the *real thing* anyways, so I don't really know who they're catering to.

My first thought upon seeing it was "that's really ugly, the real thing looked way better."

That said, I'd be really surprised if Nintendo didn't try to sue. They're a litigious bunch, and their entire business model these days seems to be coasting on ports and "HD remakes" of their old games. Giving people a way to play their old cartridges might dissuade them from re-buying their libraries with every new piece of Nintendo hardware, after all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement