Advertisement

Flappy Bird

Started by February 07, 2014 09:46 PM
51 comments, last by _mark_ 10 years, 7 months ago

Sooo......

I'm sure you have heard of 'flappy bird', the mobile game that skyrocketed the app charts out of nowhere?

Everyone seems surprised as to how this extremely simple game gained that much momentum.

Even the developer, one guy from vietnam, coding the game within the course of three evenings, says is baffled by its success.

Given that the game has already been in the stores since may 2013...

Some blogs claim the app growth is highly suspicious of bought ratings though.

What's your experience? Do you know the game? Did you try it? How did you find out about it?

A friend of mine showed me and he seems to have seen the game mentioned in a twitter post.

Never heard of it.

Advertisement

[LINK] - Enjoy

This game looks like a clone of so many "avoid the wall" games I played in the early 1990's.

Played Flappy Bird for 3 minutes - became bored with it .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

[LINK] - Enjoy

This game looks like a clone of so many "avoid the wall" games I played in the early 1990's.

Yep. That's why I made this thread.

This is like the simplest of the simplest game ideas, yet it's going viral right now with something like 30,000,000 downloads.

It really smells a bit fishy, but if the guy genuinely just got lucky, kudos to him.

He seems to swim in cash at the moment.

%5BLINK%5D - Enjoy

Yep. That's why I made this thread.
This is like the simplest of the simplest game ideas, yet it's going viral right now with something like 30,000,000 downloads.

It really smells a bit fishy, but if the guy genuinely just got lucky, kudos to him.
He seems to swim in cash at the moment.

in what way does it smell fishy? companys spend millions trying to game the system for this type of success. even if he did rig the reviews, that doesn't mean it translates into sales, there are plenty of devs that already do try to cheat the review system, and don't see anywhere near this type of success.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
If a single guy in Vietnam can buy enough paid ratings to get to the top of the app chart, dodge Apple's fraud monitoring, and become a success, paid ratings must be amazingly cheap.

And if that's all it takes to get to the top of the charts, then how come the thousands of other devs (with more money and resources than a 3rd-world citizen) aren't replicating it every other day.

Probably just an unexpected viral hit that accidentally hit on some enjoyable design (in this case, masochism).

The success of Minecraft, while awesome, was more accident than anything. Even as a huge fan of Minecraft, the game is buggy and unpolished.
Advertisement

@ Servant of the Lord

Reminds me of "Mario Forever" in a way

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Maybe I chose the wrong wording (non native speaker). I too believe this to be a random go-viral story. There was a blog post that analyzed the app store charts but the author sounded a bit biased himself.

The success of Minecraft, while awesome, was more accident than anything

Yep, didn't make that connection. I remember learning about minecraft in exactly the same way. I guess flappy bird has the added bonus that it's free.

However he did it Im sure he doesnt care earning 50k a day. Even though those pipes look familiar for some reason.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement