Advertisement

Space Ship Building & Simulation Games - Wow !

Started by January 08, 2014 08:31 AM
35 comments, last by RLS0812 10 years, 8 months ago

Now I'm starting to think that if Mojand had developed their 0x10c game more, they might had stumbled into a second (albeit smaller) Minecraft, given the kind of success that these space exploration games had this last year.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

the kind of success that these space exploration games had this last year.

I hardly feel that is sustainable. The space sim genre has been underserved for the better part of a decade, but by this time next year the market is likely to be flooded with the last round of kickstarters...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

Whether or not it stays strong will depend on the strength of the products released.

Sure, there will always be the flood of worthless clone games cashing in on the general idea, but as long as there is that core of solid games offering great game play, KSP, hopefully Star Citizen, and others, that are well made interesting games, then there will still be money spent in the genre.

If however there is a long series of highly hyped games that fall flat on their face, then we will see a lot more jaded customer base who is going to think twice before opening their wallet. Given the amount of money floating around Star Citizen's development I'm starting to feel that whether or not they produce a great game isn't going to be important to just them, but to this sector of the industry in general. After all if they flop then we can't trust the guys behind THAT title, so why should we trust some guy with a handful of tech demos under his belt and give him even a fraction of the money we gave RSI?

Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.

the kind of success that these space exploration games had this last year.

I hardly feel that is sustainable. The space sim genre has been underserved for the better part of a decade, but by this time next year the market is likely to be flooded with the last round of kickstarters...

Thats the point. Like you had Minecraft then a few years later, all the copycats and their kickstarters, in this case it would have been 0x10c the "pioneer" (yeah i know there were other games before it but no one remembers Infinimer neither 90s voxel titles so its irrelevant) then all these games coming afterward.

You're right in that the space sim has been kinda of a niche for a very long time, but the "ingame creativity" has really taken off since Minecraft, and I think these user creativty oriented space sims have a good chance to make it big.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

You're right in that the space sim has been kinda of a niche for a very long time, but the "ingame creativity" has really taken off since Minecraft, and I think these user creativty oriented space sims have a good chance to make it big.

Yes, but they had a much better chance to make it big a year ago. Now the space-sim marketplace is rapidly becoming crowded with established and well-funded development studios (Star Citizen, Elite, etc.), and as for creativity-oriented, well, Starbound has a major head-start.

Speaking of which, Starbound should really be in the list.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Added Starbound

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

Hello Eveyone, I just checked my website analytics and saw a traffic from here, this is the first time someone has posted about Universe Edge on a forum! It feels good! Thanks Shippou! and thanks for the interest everyone!

I am estimating around 9 to 11 months of development time to reach Alpha stage, so there's still a long way there.

But, I will be releasing a Teaser Trailer, probably in the middle of next month.

It will be featuring a lot of ships! and I am wondering if you guys would be interested to build some ships to be used on the Trailer,

I will be able to share a minimal build of the game for ship building purposes. The problem is I won't be able to compensate for your efforts, the best thing I can offer is to put you in the credits of the Trailer. If you are interested, please PM me :-)

Also, the I will be uploading the Progress #2 Video of the game on Monday, It will show more about the Crew and Equipments in the game.

And for the link list , I found this on IndieDB a few days ago > http://www.indiedb.com/games/avorion , it is a spaceship-building game too!

Great to see one of the devs here in these forums =-)

Added Avorion to the list

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Added No Man's Sky - Will remove it from the list if this game turns out to be another "space adventure" game.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Added No Man's Sky - Will remove it from the list if this game turns out to be another "space adventure" game.

do you have another link to something with more info?, the home link is pretty.....empty.
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement