Advertisement

To Aussie Chocolate Fans, or grocery shoppers

Started by October 02, 2013 06:25 AM
13 comments, last by LennyLen 10 years, 10 months ago

The co-owner of my indie games company (and creative director), Garth Midgley, won an episode of the "Recipe to Riches" TV show last night, with his "luxury popcorn".

The episode is here: http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/recipe-to-riches/2013/episode-6 (not sure if viewable in all countries)

This means that Woolworths supermarkets are selling a trial-run of his product, Chocorn. All the sales between now and Sunday are counted to determine if he wins the finals. If he does win, it's a $100k prize and a contract with Woolies, which could also help our games business wink.png

So, if you're into nice chocolates, do Garth a favour and try some Woolworths Chocorn before Sunday to help him win biggrin.png

Here's the promo banner:

1380100_552202664851869_2005424127_n.jpg

sorry for being offtopic, but..... Woolsworth still exists?! I haven't any of those stores since the 80s.

Anyhow, congratulations on your winning!

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement

Woolsworth still exists?! I haven't any of those stores since the 80s.

I don't know if it's Australia wide or just in Victoria, but pretty much all of the "Safeway" stores -- or at least all of the metro area ones -- were recently re-branded as "Woolworths" again. According to Wikipedia this change started in 2008 and they've completely discontinued the "safeway" name, which was apparently only used in Victoria.

I don't know anything about if or how these brands operate overseas. smile.png

Looks like a good product, I'll be sure to pick some up so my wife and I can try it tomorrow night! cool.png

- Jason Astle-Adams

Woolworths owns about half the grocery stores in the country (as above, some were called Safeway until recently). They also own a huge amount of petrol stations, gambling venues, alcohol retailers, and department stores.

P.S. the manufacturing process isn't perfect for this first run, so if Garth wins, the product will improve wink.png

sorry for being offtopic, but..... Woolsworth still exists?! I haven't any of those stores since the 80s.

Anyhow, congratulations on your winning!

Yeah, I had that first thought then I realized...Woolworth, Aussie? Apparently there are many. Interesting enough the company in australia/new zealand took the name to capitalize on the american company!

Good luck with the popcorn!

My girlfriend would probably love that, but alas, that damn ocean.

We actually have a "Standard" gas station near where I live that's there to preserve the Standard Oil trademark. It's definitely a weird blast from the past.

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

Advertisement

I was just at Woolworths about 10 minutes ago, and I looked but couldn't find them.

I was just at Woolworths about 10 minutes ago, and I looked but couldn't find them.

Thanks for looking anyway!

They're in a stand like this at the entrance to the store. I just took this picture an hour ago, and that store was sold out, which is good, I guess:
http://i.imgur.com/ngpMZeg.jpg

I was back again just a short while ago (our apartment building is on top of a shopping mall), and they do have a sign about it at the entrance, but no display. Perhaps they also sold out and took it away.

Where I live (Southeast United States), Woolworth's isn't really around anymore, but when it was, it was infamous for having a policy of not allowing African-Americans to come in the front or sit down inside. It was really bad. This might not be the same Woolworth's, but that is just a fun fact for you and your chocolatier compadre.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement