Advertisement

married or unmarried development ; -9

Started by September 15, 2013 10:12 AM
25 comments, last by ShadowFlar3 11 years ago

Some girl I deeply loved broke my heart a few years ago and I am unmarried still, this was a hard hit and it is not easy to move on your

feet after some kind of experience, I am living in spritual hell, got troubles to met other girls, but do not matter.

I wonder if working as a programmer in unmarried state can be better for programming or being married is better ;-/ When unmarried I found myself depressive often but I have a lot of time to fucus (though to be candid last months the depressive state beats the fosus) Some opinions in general ? ;-O

I wonder if working as a programmer in unmarried state can be better for programming or being married is better

I think it's a completely unrelated facet of life to programming. It might make a difference (either way) for any given individual programmer, but I don't think you could draw any meaningful conclusions in the general case.

For some people it would be better to be married.

For some people it would be better to be single.

For others it wouldn't make any difference.

I do have one comment however: you shouldn't need to be married to be happy, and you might not make an ideal husband if you're looking for marriage to solve your problems in life. Whether or not you find a partner, you should try to be happy with your own life.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Advertisement

I wonder if working as a programmer in unmarried state can be better for programming or being married is better

I think it's a completely unrelated facet of life to programming. It might make a difference (either way) for any given individual programmer, but I don't think you could draw any meaningful conclusions in the general case.

For some people it would be better to be married.

For some people it would be better to be single.

For others it wouldn't make any difference.

I do have one comment however: you shouldn't need to be married to be happy, and you might not make an ideal husband if you're looking for marriage to solve your problems in life. Whether or not you find a partner, you should try to be happy with your own life.

I think it can be related some say that when married they can spend so much time to coding and so on, so maybe some can have some experience in this field ;>

I think it can be related some say that when married [...]
(Emphasis mine.)

Precisely my point. It effects some people one way, others completely the opposite way, and yet others not at all. People can certainly share their experiences, but there's no reason at all that those experiences would necessarily apply to you.

Personally, for me I had a little less time for development when I started dating, but from there to getting married there was no additional difference. Our first daughter however made a very noticeable change in my free time, and I'm only just now (a little over 10 months since the birth) getting back into a more stable routine of sorts, 'though still with less time available overall.

- Jason Astle-Adams

you shouldn't need to be married to be happy, and you might not make an ideal husband if you're looking for marriage to solve your problems in life. Whether or not you find a partner, you should try to be happy with your own life.

This.

I personally don't 'get' marriage and why people want to get married. As for dating I found it exhausting when I was younger, with all the social politics, drama and rules, now dating is at the bottom of my hierarchy of needs, even at 28 I get the "im sorry you are dying" look, when I respond to people who ask me if im 'still' single.

However saying all that majority of my day is consumed by projects, which are one way or another linked to programming, I don't really have the time to date and honestly you could stick me with the most interesting, fun, good looking person and I will still have work on my mind.

For me being married or in a relationship right now would likely depress me at worrying levels, it would consume an enormous amount of time so despite being single and not looking I am as happy as ever.

you shouldn't need to be married to be happy, and you might not make an ideal husband if you're looking for marriage to solve your problems in life. Whether or not you find a partner, you should try to be happy with your own life.

This.

I personally don't 'get' marriage and why people want to get married. As for dating I found it exhausting when I was younger, with all the social politics, drama and rules, now dating is at the bottom of my hierarchy of needs, even at 28 I get the "im sorry you are dying" look, when I respond to people who ask me if im 'still' single.

However saying all that majority of my day is consumed by projects, which are one way or another linked to programming, I don't really have the time to date and honestly you could stick me with the most interesting, fun, good looking person and I will still have work on my mind.

For me being married or in a relationship right now would likely depress me at worrying levels, it would consume an enormous amount of time so despite being single and not looking I am as happy as ever.

IMO programming is realy counter-girls activity (counter any life activity as i already said). I would like to met some girl (I think life with a girl is more fun and easier) but I am heavy spiritually damaged (really) by previous one, and second, I would have to be in a mindset when I have not much to do in my mind and start searching, if programming occupies my mind/brain in 95% it is not such way. ;(

Advertisement

I don't understand how some can claim they get MORE free time when married compared to not being married. How does that work?

Personally it doesn't matter for me, but I do feel like I've got more spare time when I'm single.

Being married does take time and energy. Add kids into the mix and it takes even more. Having the support of a wonderful partner can be an awesome boost, but you do have to make sacrifices and manage your time better. You can't just get married in order to have an emotional crutch to prop up your mood; it just doesn't work that way, not long-term at any rate. If you're miserable alone, you'll be miserable in company, only then you'll be making somebody else miserable as well.

If you are depressed, and the depression is making it hard for you to work, then I suggest that you take a bit of a break from your coding. Not completely, anyway, but somewhat. The absolute number one thing that I, personally, can do to ward off depression is exercise. Hike a mountain, ride my bike, even just 45 minutes on the Wii Fit, can all make a huge difference. I am not even kidding, the difference is phenomenal. Watch your eating as well; despite the stereotype that coders are fueled by pizza and Mountain Dew, these kinds of lifestyle choices can make or break you. Sure, you sacrifice some of the pleasure in eating, but I promise you that the mood-elevation and overall well-being are more than worth it. It really is amazing the difference that simple diet and exercise can provide. And if changing your lifestyle still doesn't help your depression, then you might want to seek out professional counseling. Occasional depression due to crappy things happening is normal; but ever-present depression that saps your enjoyment of life is probably a disorder that should be handled.

And programming doesn't have to be counter-girl. It's just a hobby. You could just as well say that playing fantasy football is counter-girl, or that rebuilding cars and trucks is counter-girl. It's kind of a non-sequitur. If you pour all your emotional energy into one thing then, yes, that thing can shut out any possibility of having a meaningful relationship. But if you have a girlfriend/boyfriend/spouse, they shouldn't have to compete with your hobby (or profession) for every speck of your attention. If you can't spare any time from coding to be nice to someone, then you probably shouldn't be in a relationship. However, if you pour all of your emotional energy into something like coding, or fantasy football, or automotive restoration, then don't be surprised when those parts of your being that cry out for emotional closeness with another human being cause you to feel lonely, spiritually broken, and depressed. These hobby activities are great, don't get me wrong. (Well, not fantasy football, so much; but to each his own.) But life isn't about just pouring your heart and soul into one single hobby. That is a narrow and non-fulfilling way to live, for creatures who have been made or have evolved (whatever your beliefs) to be social animals.

I've lived that way before, spending 8 hours a day working and another 8 coding before crashing down from the Mt. Dew high and grabbing a couple hours of sleep, pouring everything I had into projects (incidentally, projects which are now long-dead, all that effort amounting to nothing more than a few magnetic spots on a dust-covered hard-drive sitting in a box in the garage) and thinking that there could be nothing better than the life I was living, despite the constant depression and anxiety and loneliness. I have much less free time now that I have a wife and kids and a mortgage to pay, but I honestly would not even consider going back to the "freedom" of being single and coding long into the night on a wave of Mountain Dew euphoria.

Still, marriage isn't for everyone. You can have a fulfilling life without it. Just don't neglect the social aspects completely. Pull your head out of your monitor for three hours and go catch a movie with some friends. Or, better, climb a mountain or ride your bike with friends. Getting your exercise and your social interaction at the same time can save you more time for your coding.

What do you want from your life?

That got to be number one question you have to ask yourself before talking about marriage.

Also many people who divorced feel the way you feel for years before they got back up on the bike again and start dating. It is perfectly normal smile.png

How about not thinking marriage and then just date for a while?

How about not date for awhile and just meet people for awhile?

In fact just be social in some way and then see what happens.

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

IMO programming is realy counter-girls activity (counter any life activity as i already said).

Counter relationships? Well that is subject to debate, but definitely not life activities, I dedicate an enormous amount of time to programming and yes while my social life (and sex life) is completely dead, I still manage to enjoy all my other activities including daily exercise, playing the piano, politics and playing with the cat etc. Ofc major massive sacrifices were made and these weren't easy but in the end I felt I could either be ambitious or social. Some people can manage both, but based on the situation I was presented with I knew I would fail trying to balance / be good in both areas.

You have to assess your life, personally if you are depressed I would recommend getting help from a pro, I doubt based on your threads programming is solely responsible for how you feel.

if programming occupies my mind/brain in 95% it is not such way. ;(

You will have to find out why this is, it could be due to extreme hours spent on programming or something else

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement