Advertisement

What do you think of the movie Travelling Salesman?

Started by September 12, 2013 06:45 PM
6 comments, last by Erik Rufelt 11 years ago

I just saw it today at a friend, I'm surprised I had never heard of it before.Basically...*SPOILER WARNING*

.........four mathematicians solve the P versus NP problem and then some guy with attitude problems comes in to congratulate them and to pay them(they're selling it to the USA government).However they begin to discuss how it could be used to hack into any system and destroy an entire country.

So if you've seen it, what do you think about it?What would YOU do if you were the guy who solves the problem?I'm not talking about right and wrong, I mean there is no universal right and wrong, I just want to hear what YOU would do with it, like for real if it happens in real life.Would you sell it to a government?Or somehow use it to take over the world?

>removed<

I haven't seen it but not being motivated by money and greed I wouldn't sell anything I created or came up with to the government. And no... not everyone has a price.cool.png

Advertisement

I haven't seen it but not being motivated by money and greed I wouldn't sell anything I created or came up with to the government. And no... not everyone has a price.cool.png

Easy to say when no one is offering you money.

QFT.

Everyone has their price. Some people just don't like to admit it.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

http://xkcd.com/538/

Proving P = NP wouldn't necessarily mean you've come up with a fast solution for all NP problems, though. Unless your proof is in the form of an automated algorithm generator which works on any NP problem. If you've done such a thing, you've likely realized that you've implemented the majority of the hard stuff that a GOFAI requires. If you do that, you may as well use it yourself to "take over the world." (whatever that means)

No it's not an easy answer when no one is offering you money. It's an easy answer when you have values over money. Big difference.

Advertisement

QFT.

Everyone has their price. Some people just don't like to admit it.

That's goofy. Not everyone has a price LoL. The people who say that everyone does have a price are the ones that do. What you're really saying is that you definitely have a price. biggrin.png

Money is not the answer to everything, despite your popular belief. It takes a lot to realize this though. However, it is true that most do have a price so I can see how you would assume everyone does.

OP: I'll look out for that movie though, it sounds interesting and worth a looksee.

Money is not the answer to everything, despite your popular belief. It takes a lot to realize this though. However, it is true that most do have a price so I can see how you would assume everyone does.

You greatly simplify the definition of your price.

I saw the movie, it was OK.. I probably would give it to a government if I solved it.. unless I deemed it extremely unlikely that someone else would also solve it in the coming decades, in which case I would consider it too valuable and either destroy it or make it very public to avoid getting killed to keep it a secret.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement