Advertisement

Developing Apps/Games On Firefox OS ?!?

Started by July 21, 2013 10:33 AM
18 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 1 month ago

There is no mention of *ANY* type of API on the official development site ... JavaScript was never meant to handle heavy-duty coding that a lot of apps/games require on smartphones.

I wouldn't be as upset if they would at least allow Java, but from what I have read, that will not be an option !

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

On a side not, no one ever said how to use JavaScript to listen to ports, and respond to incoming packets ... which is kinds very important with almost any app connected to the internet ( and don't say "load a web page" ).

Isn't this what webSockets are for?
Check out https://www.facebook.com/LiquidGames for some great games made by me on the Playstation Mobile market.
Advertisement

There is no mention of *ANY* type of API on the official development site ... JavaScript was never meant to handle heavy-duty coding that a lot of apps/games require on smartphones.
I wouldn't be as upset if they would at least allow Java, but from what I have read, that will not be an option !

Aren't you supposed to use all of the goodness of HTML 5 to create FF apps?

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

HTML5 is seriously lacking for any kind of real apps / games .

With out API your app / game is cut off from any kind of real time internet connectability, I/O is a joke, and may other problems that a good API would solve.

If those clowns would allow Java to be used, all the major issues would be solved - as it is Firefox OS will be the the most lack-luster smart phone OS out there.

Edit: there is *NO* database support of any kind with Firefox OS - no SQL, no AJAX

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

HTML5 is seriously lacking for any kind of real apps / games .

With out API your app / game is cut off from any kind of real time internet connectability, I/O is a joke, and may other problems that a good API would solve.

If those clowns would allow Java to be used, all the major issues would be solved - as it is Firefox OS will be the the most lack-luster smart phone OS out there.

Edit: there is *NO* database support of any kind with Firefox OS - no SQL, no AJAX

You can do realtime networking using websockets, for storage you can use indexedDB or localstorage, Ajax also works just fine, i'm not sure where you're getting your (mis)information.

You can also access the phones hardware features through the WebAPI.

To be perfectly honest i can't really think of anything game related you cannot do with FirefoxOS. (performance issues not included)

[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

You need AJAX for websockets, indexedDB is not implemented, and no confirmation on AJAX on Firefox OS .

As of right now, the best games that can be produced on the OS are pre 1995 style games.

I get my information from the official development site - and as of right now, all the OS is capable of is displaying web pages and calling them APPS .

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Advertisement

And what about people without "social network accounts"? Locked out of the internet?

Those people are not the product.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

You need AJAX for websockets, indexedDB is not implemented, and no confirmation on AJAX on Firefox OS .

As of right now, the best games that can be produced on the OS are pre 1995 style games.

I get my information from the official development site - and as of right now, all the OS is capable of is displaying web pages and calling them APPS .

according to this: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/WebAPI and https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAPI indexedDB should be available(async only atm), you're correct that the socket API is not websockets though, its a low level TCP socket API(even better to be honest) for privileged apps only. (So the app has to be digitally signed by an approved marketplace in order to use it, as XMLHTTPRequest is part of the standard i'd assume its available on the same domain for remote apps just like in normal firefox and for local privileged apps), IndexedDB is marked as implemented but its not yet standardized (so the API might change)

AJAX is available for privileged apps with the systemXHR permission and i guess you could use websockets as well with a similar permission since gecko has websocket support.

As of right now, I have nothing more than a fancy static web page for FF OS .. IS there documentation with examples of using the API for the web sockets specifically for Firefox OS ???

I need to send an object containing User, session ID, and array of numbers to my website @ port 2250 ... and receive a response in the form of another object containing user, session ID, and response code .

This is driving me mad developing with this platform !

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

As of right now, I have nothing more than a fancy static web page for FF OS .. IS there documentation with examples of using the API for the web sockets specifically for Firefox OS ???

I need to send an object containing User, session ID, and array of numbers to my website @ port 2250 ... and receive a response in the form of another object containing user, session ID, and response code .

This is driving me mad developing with this platform !

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/TCPSocket

There is the TCP socket API, its fairly straight forward.

Edit:

Here are the permissions you need to set in the manifest in order to use various functions.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Apps/App_permissions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement