Advertisement

what do programmers do on their off time?

Started by April 02, 2013 05:43 AM
35 comments, last by CryoGenesis 11 years, 4 months ago

Drink.

Seriously though, I recommend doing something that scratches another itch. Read books, do something, anything, outside, do something creative, or build something physical. Give your programming synapses a rest, and let the others out to stretch their legs.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Playing in a band. If you are really into the music you can turn off your brain for a while and just let it go on autopilot.

Advertisement

Playing in a band. If you are really into the music you can turn off your brain for a while and just let it go on autopilot.

Unless you want to play your own songs and/or not all the members in the band want to go in the same direction. These can mean a lot of stress too.

If you don't live in a crappy place, exploring the city on foot can be a lot of fun.

It might seem a little odd, but I've found motorcycles to work for this. Nothing like a little fresh air through a wooded trail that demands your full mind and body focus to avoid an accident to take your mind off of work stresses. Mileage may vary.

Sorry, I'm not understanding the problem. You enjoy working too much to slack off? So keep working.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

Sorry, I'm not understanding the problem. You enjoy working too much to slack off? So keep working.

Indeed, this.

As to what I do with my off time;
- gym 3 times a week
- watch tv/films to relax
- play games to get rid of The Rage which builds up
- mess about making 'music' which exercises a different part of the brain to my normal 9-5 brain stuffs
- read books (non-technical... although I read technical ones as well... often pre-bed)

(and a few times a year I head back to my home town, meet up with mates, get confusingly drunk, walk up to random people and declare 'I have an awesome beard... go on... stroke it!' which works surprisingly well.... happy.png)
Advertisement

Pick up an Arduino and start working with the hardware side of things. You'll learn how to make blinky shit that lights up. Everyone loves blinky shit that lights up.

I mostly agree with that.

If you are working because you like work, that is fine. It is generally good to do what you enjoy.

If you are working because you are feeling compelled to do it, perhaps by stress, OCD, or something else, then it is an unhealthy situation.

Now i find my self not knowing what to do, to relax and get my mind off the next problem at hand, or wanting to test some new code i have written down. i try getting on youtube and watching funny cat videos, epic fail compilations, or people doing this new found harlem shake(disturbing i know!) but i always end up getting sidetracked with a little voice telling me"hey, you really should learn how to do_____"<- fill in the blank". And i go and look up random tutorials on how to do, whatever i need to do at the moment for another hour, just getting my self back to the mind set of"Damn i need a break!" And the horrible cycle continues

When I read this, I don't see it as someone who simply enjoys programming.

He doesn't know how to relax. He feels compelled to study some specific topic, to the point of interrupting other activities, and this continues in a "horrible cycle".

My suggestion would be first the self-help method. Like those above, do something COMPLETELY different. The only activities the OP listed in his life were sitting at a computer doing work, or sitting at a computer doing play.

I agree with martial arts or other physical exercise. It gets you away from the computer. Photography (working outside, not studio stuff) can also be good for many of the same reasons. Someone suggested music, which is also good.

But sometimes that won't work.

If self help doesn't work, it is likely that something else is going on. Perhaps you conditioned yourself into a specific thought pattern. Perhaps some past experience makes you think you must know something to avoid a disaster, perhaps from a failed class or something. Perhaps there is some other triggering behavior or triggering belief, you just cannot see it because you are too close to the situation.

In that case, professional help is a good thing. A few months with a good behavioral psychologist can help identify the triggering behavior or belief, and help modify the responses to it.

Thank you all for your responses! Alot of great ideas from many different perspectives and good advice, alot of things i have never thought of.

yes for some odd reason i do LIKE to work, depending on what it is. I believe if it is constructive, teaching a new skills, somehow gonna make me money now or in the future, or helping me or others in some kind of way,then yes i do enjoy it. But alot of things i am lazy on... like... cleaning cups... and... cleaning everything else xD.

I believe if it is constructive, teaching a new skills, somehow gonna make me money now or in the future, or helping me or others in some kind of way,then yes i do enjoy it.

What about enjoying it at the moment, enjoying programming itself?

I'm not a professional, but when I'm doing programming, usually I do enjoy it on the spot, not only because of some future and/or indirect benefits. I don't feel bad if something that I do doesn't have any benefits.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement