Advertisement

Open Gundam Stye

Started by October 27, 2012 07:58 PM
39 comments, last by fastcall22 11 years, 8 months ago
The song is just catchy, even though it is in Korean, plus it's a funny music video. It's not really like the usual music on the top charts in that sense cause anyone can find it funny I thought....

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

A bit interesting read regarding possible deeper meaning in the video: http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/
My projects:
Empathy
NinjaPvP
Advertisement

And another thing is that, have you listen to song with different language than yours? Their country (whatever that is) do have good composer. I myself listen to German and Bollywood, among others. And you also need to understand other people culture. Just my 2 cent.

I just had to touch on this because it is way left-field here.
I fairly well explained this in my previous post.
I have lived overseas for 10 years. I have done almost nothing but listen to songs in languages different from my own.
If you like Bollywood songs, I recommend Silsila Ye Chaahat Ka if you don’t already know it. Great atmosphere and variety between the segments of the song.

And I listen to all kind of music (classic, chip tune, new age (kitaro), beatles, acdc, you name it)

My playlist includes Garth Brooks, Eminem, some chip tunes, They Might Be Giants, oldies, modern-day pop, K-pop’s Never Say Goodbye (Mario & Nesty), etc.
At this moment I am listening to ????????? Play Girl. I don’t just like classical, I play it!

My point is that you can accuse me of being close-minded, narrow-minded towards music, and not understanding of other cultures, but there is a significant amount of evidence to the contrary.

Which is probably why I am not impressed by this song; I have just seen so much like it.

So, this is not just a case of me putting it down because Justin Bieber is not my style of music or I am biased against FPS games.

I appreciate that there are inside jokes but that doesn’t help unless I am on the inside. Most people who dance to the song and spread it around aren’t either, so that doesn’t help me to understand what they see in the song/video either.

I probably never will be able to understand it. It’s not popular in Japan (in fact the article that prompted me to finally listen to it was about why it is not catching on at all in Japan) and it is entirely like that whatever causes Japanese people not to like it (I have since forgotten what the article said, distracted by my own confusion as to why they would catch on anywhere) likely is the same thing preventing me from “getting” it, since I have lived here for a while. Really, it’s just so absolutely average in every aspect compared to what we have here in Japan.

[EDIT]
I just glanced at the article again and I can certainly say I am not in the Japanese mindset.
http://www.jlist.com/home
I did cite his appearance in my original post but that was something of a minor side complaint. If anything, that comes from my American mindset.
So I guess I will never understand. Simple as that.
[/EDIT]

L. Spiro

I restore Nintendo 64 video-game OST’s into HD! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCtX_wedtZ5BoyQBXEhnVZw/playlists?view=1&sort=lad&flow=grid

The video is ridiculous in a way that most people find amusing, with a funny dance that's not difficult to learn, and a tune people find moderately catchy, plus the novelty that it's different, at least for the vast majority of US consumers.

I thinking a few of those things don't apply to you in one way or another...

-Mark the Artist

Digital Art and Technical Design
Developer Journal

I think it may be the same as Monty Python. I absolutely LOVE Monty Python, but lots of people I know insist that it's just dumb. For the record I also really like Gangnam style, but I've always been fascinated by Asian culture anyways.

How can you compare the two? Seems like you're saying if someone don't like it, they just don't understand it.
I bet this video cost way more than a Flying Circus episode, and Monty Python's got satire, social criticism, hilarious characters and bizarre jokes and events. I can understand some folks not liking it (or not understanding it - there's lots of references to topics of the day), but as an estimation of the value in creativity and workmanship, there's simply no comparison.

I think MP is disliked because a) it's old, and b) it's brainy. Gangnam style is liked because a) it's new, and b) it's dumb as shit.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

A bit interesting read regarding possible deeper meaning in the video: http://www.theatlant...nsation/261462/
Pretty much this. And

I iz disappointed. I thought this was a thread about Gundam
this.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Advertisement
Heeeeeeyy sexxy laddyyyy eeyyyyyy

In all seriousness, I think this stuff is a bit better than those of Nicki Minaj. or Gotye, or Rihanna, or random rap songs talking about money, b!itches, and being a n*gg*. I tuned out all pop songs from America.
It's popular in Korea because he is making fun of Gangnam, the Korean version of Beverly Hills in Seoul, where a bunch of rich folk live.

It's popular in the rest of the world because they will fall over backwards for an idiotic disco song.

C dominates the world of linear procedural computing, which won't advance. The future lies in MASSIVE parallelism.

This is probably dead, but I don't think you understand. ONE PERSON didn't pass it on to their friends. It has billions of hits, and millions of likes. One person didn't just pass it to their friends. Don't start a thread about YOUR distaste in a song when hundreds of millions of people love it.

My Project info: My Dev Journal: http://www.gamedev.net/blog/1571-the-life-of-a-unity-developer/
I update this more: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/158344-Not-Dead-Enough-a-zombie-apocalypse-simulator-now-in-production!
This is probably dead, but I don't think you understand. ONE PERSON didn't pass it on to their friends. It has billions of hits, and millions of likes. One person didn't just pass it to their friends. Don't start a thread about YOUR distaste in a song when hundreds of millions of people love it.

I'll have to disagree with you on that. It's the Lounge. And just because millions of people like it, doesn't mean any one individual has to. We're not the Borg. Resistance is most certainly NOT futile.

Go on L. Spiro. I may not agree with your "hate". But I'll defend it to my dying typed letter!

[spoiler]*hate = hate on Gunnam Style[/spoiler]

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement