🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

And now onto the games

Started by
4 comments, last by Goober King 22 years, 8 months ago
I''ve got most things running now so I''m ready to try and run a demo or two to see if things are working right. Nabed the Quake 3 demo but it does not run. Tried to get the latest nividia drivers and am not sure how to check if I installed them right. There were two files I used RPM on and they said they were installed but I think something more nees to be done the xconfig or whatever file is still using the generic default. I guess I just want some general info about what demos I can download to make sure things are working right. Do I need something other than the vid drivers to run 3d aps?
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Advertisement
You shouldn''t for graphics. You might for sound (SBLive''s are really easy to setup, not sure about other cards). There''s a shell script at lokigames.com that checks if you setup the NVidia drivers correctly, you should try it.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I''ll do that now. I also think i need to update XFree86. It may be an
older version. A lot of the Open GL stuff doesn''t seem to be where it
should be.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
quote: Original post by Goober King

I''ll do that now. I also think i need to update XFree86. It may be an

older version. A lot of the Open GL stuff doesn''t seem to be where it

should be.

The fact that alot of stuff aren''t where they should be depends greatly on your installation and might not have anything to do with the XFree86 version. Second of all, the best thing for you to do is to get a really good book that explains the basics of Linux so you can get a really good start. There are alot of questions and errors I run into when talking to people who use Linux that could''ve been solved easily with a good book. Also might want to check out some of the good linux web sites for some great news like http://www.linux.com

BTW, no offense here. It may sound a bit harsh but It wasn''t intended...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
A division of DLC Multimedia

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
[Cyberdrek | ]
None taken. I''m thinking nothing may be wrong with xfre86 one sight
said that lot of people are having "WTF" problems with getting the Nvidia
drivers installed properly. I got RH from a book that seamed on the suface
to be a good book but dosn''t realy go into some of the poblems I was having.
I never once mentioned the mount command ever. I''ve been haging out
at B&N looking at other books that deal with problems that mine
doesn''t cover. Its a good overveiw as long as everything works.
To be honest I''m not sure if the one OpenGL prog I have won''t
work because Something is wrong with the default driver or
if the program is just not working. It doesn''t give me an error
it just pretends i never told it to run. I need to find another
GL program demo or something to try before I try some of the
more drastic solutions I''ve been reading about. Not sure
I''m ready for some of the posible fixes. I have another distro
to try as well. I guess I just get to keep tring stuff untill I find
the one solution that will work. I''m realy liking linux and if I can
get it all to run right I don''t see me using windows very often
but I may have to get alot smarter real fast first.
FYI to Null and Void the loki link to the shell script seams to be broken
at the moment. Thanks anyway.
*clears throat*

Have you checked your distro''s website yet? There''s a full set of manuals for RedHat versions 6.x and 7.x, I believe. You should be able to find info on exactly where everything should be, how to configure all the various parts of the system, etc. Linux is about learning and discovery; you have to do that part yourself, so get to it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement