Advertisement

Would You Feel Cheated?

Started by July 24, 2012 10:15 PM
18 comments, last by Hodgman 12 years, 1 month ago
A "fair" price is the one that everybody else gets. It seems to me that the majority of people don't like feeling as though other people are paying less than they are and jump at the chance to get something for a lower price than others. It's part of the same mentality that drives people to sales in stores to buy products they wouldn't ordinarily buy. A sense of feeling smarter than the idiots that paid full price. And then the flip side of that is feeling stupid because you see or hear about someone else that paid less. Some people then go on to rationalize their choices based on product quality or convenience. Others complain loudly because they've learned that when they do people give them a cookie to shut up and go away.

If you have some method of making the work faster, mower power to you.

Sorry... I couldn't resist. tongue.png
Advertisement

The thing is I see a lot of people on the internet (I should probably stop visiting those sites) griefing over executives being paid so much money. But if these executives weren't known for being paid so well would they still complain?

So how does that analogy compare to what price you are prepared to pay someone else?

In your initial example, I agreed to a fixed price for a service. As long as that service is carried out satisfactorily, I don't care how much profit the business makes.

People "griefing" over executive pay are doing so for good reasons. The majority of the executives that people are complaining about brought about the current economic crisis through some very dodgy business practices, and people quite rightly question why their governments are subsidising the exorbitant rates the executives are paid.

A closer analogy would be that the neighbourhood kid used to charge you $10 an hour, but now he charges $500 an hour and burns your house down while he's at it.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight
People "griefing" over executive pay are doing so for good reasons. The majority of the executives that people are complaining about brought about the current economic crisis through some very dodgy business practices, and people quite rightly question why their governments are subsidising the exorbitant rates the executives are paid.

A closer analogy would be that the neighbourhood kid used to charge you $10 an hour, but now he charges $500 an hour and burns your house down while he's at it.
... and, before burning down your house, drinks your beer and loses your TV in a poker game :)

About "fair price", I agree with what was said above about service and quality of service versus time. You want your lawn mowed and you don't want to do it yourself. Kid provides lawn mowing service agreement for $10.

As long as kid mows lawn on the agreed day according to specifications (to a height of 4.3mm +/- 0.05mm, and all grass blades facing Mecca), contract is considered fulfilled. It does not matter whether it takes him 5 mins or the entire afternoon to do that.
I would rather care that the mowing is done properly and that I can afford for it, I really wouldn't care how it's done. After all, I'm paying for the mowing, not for having some kid work. If anything, good for him for being better at business than me :v

Better question: why would I be letting a kid do this? =P (although I suppose there's a big difference between some young kid and a late teen who's almost adult)
Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.
We agreed to $10 per lawn mowed, not $10 per hour, so time doesn't even factor into the equation. The trade is fair.
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
Advertisement

I'm not sure I agree. I find people are generally upset with the upper class and executives in general. The vast majority of whom have nothing to do with the current economic crisis aside from not being the first people to get laid off.

Maybe the majority of your friends who are complaining complain about more specific executives, but I think generalizing that to everybody complaining is not accurate. I've had plenty of arguments with people who generalize CEOs as terrible people regardless of how good they are at their job, how ethical they are, how much they risk, or how much they get paid.

[quote name='ChaosEngine' timestamp='1343274798' post='4963173']

I'm not sure I agree. I find people are generally upset with the upper class and executives in general. The vast majority of whom have nothing to do with the current economic crisis aside from not being the first people to get laid off.

Maybe the majority of your friends who are complaining complain about more specific executives, but I think generalizing that to everybody complaining is not accurate. I've had plenty of arguments with people who generalize CEOs as terrible people regardless of how good they are at their job, how ethical they are, how much they risk, or how much they get paid.
[/quote]

Well, I did say "the majority of the executives that people are complaining about". I'm sure there are plenty of CEOs out there who are ethical, good at their job and generally pretty nice guys. That said I do not believe anyone is worth 380 times the pay of the average worker.
if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

That said I do not believe anyone is worth 380 times the pay of the average worker.

Im 50/50 with that statement. In a situation where I'm the CEO or founder of a company with ~1000 employees, if I'm taking in 380 the average workers pay, then something is not right. But if I'm the CEO of a company that has around 100,000 employees then 380 times the pay does not seem that bad.

Also for highly skilled individuals, there is no actual replacing them, if you take 380 average physicist they are not going to give you the same results that say one Einstein or on Maxwell will give. Say its the 1800's and I need a Horse that can Travel 38mph in order to deliver the mail on time, no matter how many average horses I tie together they are not going to hit that limit unless I pony up and pay for the top of the line breed.
That said I do not believe anyone is worth 380 times the pay of the average worker.
This is a social problem -- modern societies with greater financial inequality have more crime, bigotry, intolerance, etc -- and high executive pay is just a symptom of those unequal societies. So people complaining about CEO remuneration are really just upset with their society. They should vote with their feet and move to Finland ;-P

Also for highly skilled individuals, there is no actual replacing them, if you take 380 average physicist they are not going to give you the same results that say one Einstein or on Maxwell will give.
But at the same time, giving that individual 380 loaves of bread when 379 other people are starving is a strange way of rewarding their uniqueness.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement