Advertisement

Hi Everyone

Started by July 23, 2012 06:31 PM
16 comments, last by capn_midnight 12 years, 1 month ago
Long time, no talk. MY FAULT!

How has everyone been? What is everyone up to these days? Any cool projects?I miss y'all! No, I don't know why!

Myself, I've been incredibly busy. What has happened since last we talked? Hmmm, let's see. I made a Tetris Arm Wrestling game. There's this goofy synthesizer thing that I wrote in HTML5. This Laser Harp thing was commissioned by an artist. There are a bunch of other synth things that I've made, just don't have any videos of them. This web series about people surviving the zombie apocalypse had me do some special effects for them, setting things on fire and whatnot (actually, thanks to that I have an IMDB entry). Helping to run this local hackerspace takes a fair amount of time.

I have a steady girlfriend for once in my life, after the last one tried to get me into a knife fight in a biker bar (long story short, I would have known better to never started dating that person if I knew more about Philadelphia neighborhoods and understood what it meant for her to grow up where she did). And I haven't worked for The Man in over 7 months!

And the future looks great. I'm illustrating a book. Running a class or three. About to get on the Kickstarter bandwagon. And somehow there is a vacation to Belize planned in the middle. I know, right?

Well shit! Maybe I shouldn't get back into posting here, I might not get anything done ever again.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

Advertisement
Welcome back, sounds like you're very busy indeed!

- Jason Astle-Adams

Welcome Back!

I made a Tetris Arm Wrestling game.

How does that work?
I actually googled yesterday, came across an old GD thread, saw a post from you, and thought "I haven't seen capn_midnight around in a long time... what's he up to?"

Weird blink.png

But it's good to have you back! Good luck on never getting anything done again.
[size=2][ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]
'sup, capn
Advertisement

Welcome Back!

[quote name='capn_midnight' timestamp='1343068261' post='4962321']

How does that work?
[/quote]

Well, start by writing a normal two-player, head-to-head Tetris game. I did all original code, all of the graphics, and had a friend record music for it (which you can hear in the video). Then build a rig out of wood to hold bumpers that close switches whenever the players move their arms back and forth in the middle. Take apart a standard keyboard and follow the traces for all of the keys back to the tiny PCB that does all the work for the keyboard (there are two traces per key). Figure out which pins on the PCB correspond to which keys on the keyboard, then solder wires from those pins to switches inside your bumpers in your rig. And there you have it!

Thanks everyone. Hopefully can have some fine times with everyone again. I kind of miss ASCII fishtank contests.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Welcome back.

We did have a community contest a little while back - with a theme of "kraken". Were you around then?

About to get on the Kickstarter bandwagon.

Lol - bandwagon. It's more like its own f*cking continent at this point. dry.png But curious anyway: details?

[quote name='alnite' timestamp='1343090509' post='4962427']
Welcome Back!

[quote name='capn_midnight' timestamp='1343068261' post='4962321']

How does that work?
[/quote]

Well, start by writing a normal two-player, head-to-head Tetris game. I did all original code, all of the graphics, and had a friend record music for it (which you can hear in the video). Then build a rig out of wood to hold bumpers that close switches whenever the players move their arms back and forth in the middle. Take apart a standard keyboard and follow the traces for all of the keys back to the tiny PCB that does all the work for the keyboard (there are two traces per key). Figure out which pins on the PCB correspond to which keys on the keyboard, then solder wires from those pins to switches inside your bumpers in your rig. And there you have it!
[/quote]

How does the control scheme work though ?, is it left/right with the bumpers and rotate on a separate button ?
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement