Advertisement

Num lock

Started by June 09, 2012 01:48 PM
2 comments, last by Lifepower 12 years, 3 months ago
For those with a good old desktop keyboard with alpha part, middle part with dedicated arrow keys and 6-block of Insert etc..., and numpad on the right:

Do you ever have num lock off?

If off, is it to use the Home, End, Pg Up, Pg Dn, Ins, Del and arrow keys behind the numpad, or because you don't use the num pad at all, or for another reason?

Personally, I don't think I've ever had it off in my life, except when an unconfigured Linux does annoying by not having it on by default, in which case that is the first thing I do. I can type numbers way faster on the numpad than in the alphanumeric part.
I always keep it on in case i want to type an alt-code. I think you cant type them using the other numbers. Not sure though.

Though i probably use alt codes once a month.

o3o

Advertisement
I never switch Num Lock off. I always type numbers on the number pad, too, so find laptops a pain to type on (though I don't think I've ever seen two laptops that put the home block keys in the same place either).

I do wish more software supported Scroll Lock though - the only software I know of that does is Excel.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I always have Num Lock off by default and configure bios to have it off at startup. I have never used numpad to type actual numbers, since DOS days have been using PgUp/PgDown/Home/End/Insert keys while working with text documents and code. For some reason, I find it uncomfortable to move hand vertically to reach the alternative six keys (Insert/Delete/etc) that are on top of arrow keys. As for numbers, I can type them quickly from main keys that are below F1-F12.

If I try to type numbers on numpad, I find it difficult to do so without looking at actual keys (although have no problem doing so using one finger on a cellphone). It reminds me of very old keyboard layouts where F1-F12 keys were on the right all grouped together in 2x6 matrix, which also felt quite awkward.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement