Advertisement

VS project folder on Google Drive?

Started by June 07, 2012 07:57 PM
8 comments, last by 3DModelerMan 12 years, 3 months ago
Hey, how do you backup your projects?
Im just trying google drive and seems simple and clear..I know theres stuff much more complex, with versioning and all, but I never really got into all those stuff..Til now Im still compressing and uploading from time to time >_>"

What do you recommend, thats free and do the job without slowing you down?

Im just trying google drive and seems simple and clear..I know theres stuff much more complex, with versioning and all, but I never really got into all those stuff..Til now Im still compressing and uploading from time to time >_>"

Git + GitHub
Advertisement

Git + GitHub

Can you backup non-sourcecode files with Git (and GitHub)? I mean things like art and music resources for your projects.

[quote name='tstrimple' timestamp='1339105088' post='4947198']
Git + GitHub

Can you backup non-sourcecode files with Git (and GitHub)? I mean things like art and music resources for your projects.
[/quote]

Depending on the size, quite easily. If said files are very large, it may be worth looking into something like http://git-annex.branchable.com/
All my projects are currently inside my Dropbox folder. I copy a project folder to desktop, work on it, then put the newer version back into Dropbox.

They're backed up at Dropbox itself, as well as on my own computers (it's a good idea to have a synced computer that's not always online, in the case Dropbox client goes haywire and in addition to losing the cloud copy, it deletes all your local files too).

Visual Studio is a little annoying because by default it generates all the intermediate/output files within the project folder, so I have to delete the Debug, Release, [font=Arial, Liberation Sans, DejaVu Sans, sans-serif][color=#000000]ipch, [/font][color=#000000][font=Arial,].sdf stuff before putting it back (this default behaviour can be changed). Xcode doesn't put those things inside the project folder by default, making it more Dropbox-friendly.[/font]

I assume you can use Google Drive instead of Dropbox interchangeably, but I haven't tried it (I'm happy with my Dropbox with 25+ GB of free storage).

I would like to learn and start using Git + GitHub in the future, however. I want to make my projects open source and public.
Git for source control, which can be backed up to Sourceforge.

For backup in general, I use Cobian Backup for Windows, which runs automated nightly to back up to a second drive, and I manually periodically backup onto a USB drive. It can exculde files/folders, so intermediate/output files aren't an issue.

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Advertisement

[quote name='Icebone1000' timestamp='1339099070' post='4947165']

Git + GitHub
[/quote]Free SVN on Assembla... Git is overly complicated to me, especially for 1-man projects. And yes both are fine for non-code files.

www.simulatedmedicine.com - medical simulation software

Looking to find experienced Ogre & shader developers/artists. PM me or contact through website with a contact email address if interested.

Free SVN on Assembla... Git is overly complicated to me, especially for 1-man projects. And yes both are fine for non-code files.

Even for a single person I would recommend switching to git. It's not that much more complicated once you grok the distributed model. One of the great things about it is you have a completely local repository to operate against, which means incredibly fast operations. When you want to backup your code, you can either just copy your repository, or push to an online repository like github or bitbucket. I find that this actually encourages me to use version control more because I don't have to wait for round trips to the server for every commit.

One of the great things about it is you have a completely local repository to operate against, which means incredibly fast operations. When you want to backup your code, you can either just copy your repository, or push to an online repository like github or bitbucket. I find that this actually encourages me to use version control more because I don't have to wait for round trips to the server for every commit.

You can use a completely local repository with SVN too (with TortoiseSVN, right click the folder you wish to use as repository and "Create repository here", then just check out that folder). You can then back that up to a remote repository with svnsync if need be.

That said, I have not found SVN to be particularly slow itself (at least for repositories I host myself) though Google's free project hosting is incredibly slow.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

I really enjoy using Mercurial. It has a great GUI client for windows, and bitbucket gives you unlimited space on their free hosting plan. In fact the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have an Android client LOL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement