Advertisement

Where do I start?

Started by April 24, 2012 02:40 AM
0 comments, last by Kjell Andersson 12 years, 4 months ago
Hi everybody,
I'm really new here and was just looking for some general advice about the game industry, and making games. Before that though, here's everything you need to know about me:

I'm 16 years old and living in Pennslyvania (closest game company is in Maryland I think). In highschool, I have had some minimal training in many media and computer related studies. Technical stuff, programming, modelling, graphic design, etc. On top of that, I have been taking creative writing classes in order to bolster my narrative skill. Overall, I have only been passionate about writing and modelling. I care for and pursue only those things; and of course, I love video games. I am the best modeller out of all my friends, I try to use 3DS MAX everyday, and I always write down ideas I have for stories, games, or really anything. I have been trying to learn c++ for Source and Unity, but as much as I try, it never sticks.

The point is, I want some general advice on where to go from here. I don't have any experience making games in any way, but I know it's what I want to do. I don't want to waste my young years with nothing to show for it. What I am really trying to say is, where do I start? I love 3ds but I have no idea how to apply it to gaming. I'd like to start C++ but I don't know where or how. What can of schools can and should I go to for Game design? Is there an easy engine that I can mess around in? In general, I want to learn to make games, and I need to know where to go from the basic understanding I have at the moment.

I know this might not be the best place to ask, and I don't want to waste anyone's time, but we all have a common goal: to someday make the game you've always dreamed of. You guys seem to understand and promote that goal more than anyone else, and so I came to you.

Thank you,
Evan R.
I love your spirit, keep up your dreams!

I would suggest that you get involved in some community project. Working together with others gives you both the goal to finish things and the help from others that may have come a bit further in their quest to become great developers. You will then also have the opportunity to try different areas of game development since as you say you haven't really decided on what you like the most.

The goal to finish things is important since you then get a portfolio to show off for future projects. It also builds self confidence to have finished things - something to get proud of.

There are many places to find community projects on the Internet but gamedev.net and sourceforge.net are two great places to start at.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement