Advertisement

Most over-rated game of all time

Started by April 17, 2012 12:05 AM
106 comments, last by JoeBoris 12 years, 4 months ago
Sure,

Firstly the customization is going to be deeper than any fps that I know of, including a skill system like the one in Eve and customizable weapons, armor, and vehicles. It's going to be more heavily team oriented than any fps that I know of, because of the the vastly different combat roles combined with the heavy emphasis on winning. On that note, the Dust players earn and lose their in-game stuff and money by killing/dying and winning/losing so the matches should be very hardcore and exciting in a way you only see in games like Ultima. But by complex I assume you mean having many significant options and requiring a high level of involvement. I don't know of any FPS games that have done it like Dust is planning to

Sure,

Firstly the customization is going to be deeper than any fps that I know of, including a skill system like the one in Eve and customizable weapons, armor, and vehicles. It's going to be more heavily team oriented than any fps that I know of, because of the the vastly different combat roles combined with the heavy emphasis on winning. On that note, the Dust players earn and lose their in-game stuff and money by killing/dying and winning/losing so the matches should be very hardcore and exciting in a way you only see in games like Ultima. But by complex I assume you mean having many significant options and requiring a high level of involvement. I don't know of any FPS games that have done it like Dust is planning to

So like planetside attached to an existing mmo?
Advertisement

So like planetside attached to an existing mmo?

I've only read about planetside, can you tell me about its skill system, loot system and combat roles. What does planetside have that dust doesn't

I've only read about planetside, can you tell me about its skill system, loot system and combat roles.

Just check out the wiki: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/PlanetSide
And some gameplay: [media]
[/media]

What does planetside have that dust doesn't
[/quote]
As far as I can tell, an existing mmo attached to it.

marketing team ... has a larger budget than the development team...

..Is that total crap or what!? ...I wouldn't have believed that, but I just read a proposal from a company offering 30k for our game, and 50k for marketing. I know that's just good biz, but still, wtf?

...and so's not more derail, Skyrim. It was awesome technically, and had a lot of cool things going for it, but it seemed a little weak after a day of playing it.

....oh, and same for Spore.

[quote name='Hodgman' timestamp='1334719737' post='4932353']
marketing team ... has a larger budget than the development team...

..Is that total crap or what!? ...I wouldn't have believed that, but I just read a proposal from a company offering 30k for our game, and 50k for marketing. I know that's just good biz, but still, wtf?

...and so's not more derail, Skyrim. It was awesome technically, and had a lot of cool things going for it, but it seemed a little weak after a day of playing it.

....oh, and same for Spore.
[/quote]
Hehe. Worse part, the marketing team gets to decide what goes in the game because they think that "cool feature" will "sell the game".
Advertisement

Huh?

[quote name='J03_b' timestamp='1335206777' post='4934194']
I've only read about planetside, can you tell me about its skill system, loot system and combat roles.

[/quote]

Anyway, from what I can tell Planetside didn't have the level of customization that Dust will. Dust has all the combat roles of PS, but with control over specific stats with equipment mods and a skill system. There is also complexity in the fact that Dust will have its own player-driven market and economy that is integrated with Eve's. Also there doesn't seem to really be any overall objective or goal in PS, whereas in Dust you will participate in taking down factions and empires in Eve by fighting over their planets. There may not be as many players per battle in Dust, but the teamwork and interaction will definitely be present at all times because there will be so much on the line in each battle

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions about PS though, like I said I haven't played it

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1335213797' post='4934225']

Huh?

[/quote]

Anyway, from what I can tell Planetside didn't have the level of customization that Dust will. Dust has all the combat roles of PS, but with control over specific stats with equipment mods and a skill system. There is also complexity in the fact that Dust will have its own player-driven market and economy that is integrated with Eve's. Also there doesn't seem to really be any overall objective or goal in PS, whereas in Dust you will participate in taking down factions and empires in Eve by fighting over their planets. There may not be as many players per battle in Dust, but the teamwork and interaction will definitely be present at all times because there will be so much on the line in each battle
[/quote]
All of those assumptions are wrong except maybe the economy bit.
I'm really interested in learning about PS, but there is hardly any information on the wikipedia page. It doesn't say anything about the customization except that you can upgrade your equipment(whatever that details), implants(whatever those are), and appearance. I'm not entirely sure about the complexity of those features, which is why I asked for an explanation. Dust allows you to change your actual stats and characteristics to specialize and enhance specific play styles. For example you can probably set up your sniper rifle to shoot farther but do less damage, or trade shields for enhanced movement speed, stuff like that. It also says there are only 38 vehicles and 28 weapons in PS, while in dust there will be many more options in the form of weapon and vehicle fittings, and the more skill points you earn, the better you do with specific weapons/vehicles. As for an overall goal in PS, I'm pretty clueless. You say there is one, but it's not like any of the factions can actually win the war right? Wouldn't that mean that your fighting has about as much meaning as playing a deathmatch in Halo or CoD

This time if I'm wrong could you tell me why, or at least give me a better source of info on Planetside?

[quote name='way2lazy2care' timestamp='1335213797' post='4934225']

Huh?

[/quote]

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of my assumptions about PS though, like I said I haven't played it
[/quote]

Umm you're talking about a game that came out in 2003. You should be looking at Planetside 2 which is releasing probably 2013. It's a 666v666v666 aka 2000 player per continent (map) persistent FPS. (Planetside 1 was 133v133v133 for 400 people per continent). It has a resource system for buying upgrades (tradeoffs, not really strict upgrades). So you can get a grenade launcher or upgrade the barrel of a gun for more damage but a lower rate of fire or more accuracy and less damage. It's fairly massive. Whatever you can imagine Planetside 2 has it for upgrades. (Especially vehicles. You can change he engine out of a tank for a faster one with lower acceleration if you wanted and change the secondary guns for AA from the stock anti-infantry). It uses the EVE off-line training for unlocks (if you play the training goes faster). In Planetside 1 the goal was to take bases (by hacking adjacent connected bases either via time based hacking or capture the flag type modes). In Planetside 2 it's a bit more complex because of the number of players. (It involves capturing 3 of 5 capture point in a base among other things like disabling doors). Basically the new one has classes and within each class there is a skill-tree of unlocks. Then each vehicle has a skill-tree. Unlocks just unlock something that can then be purchased with resources in the game. (Resources are independent of the cash shop which deals with mostly cosmetics).

I played Planetside 1 off an on since it's beginning which was like 9 years ago. My favorite game. (You'll get the same story from most Planetside 1 players usually).

You say there is one, but it's not like any of the factions can actually win the war right? Wouldn't that mean that your fighting has about as much meaning as playing a deathmatch in Halo or CoD

Halo and COD have an end. Planetside 1 was always about the unlimited battle. You fought in circles. It could take 30 minutes to an hour to take a base from the enemy. These were huge battles. It's impossible to fully describe it. You had snipers on ridges (perfectly balance) vehicles on the ground with cloaked spawn points, aircraft in the air dogfighting, bombers, soldiers with AV. Even mechs were in the game. (Fun for me at least laugh.png long story.)
[media]
[/media]
// edit updated the video. Linked the wrong one.

^ // edit that's Planetside 2's WIP alpha footage from GDC.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement