Help with graduation project

Started by March 20, 2012 10:19 AM
2 comments, last by BeanDog 12 years, 6 months ago
[color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

Hello, my name's Goran[/font]

My problem is this:[/font]

As part of my graduation project for college (theme is Modern interactive multimedia with focus on video games) my mentor asked me to make simple video game with just few interactive elements like talking to NPC, driving vehicles, shooting at bots and stuff like that. When I do that I have to make interaction diagrams to elaborate interaction within the game. That's where my problem starts. I don't know what he means by that and he didn't explained it any further. He just says that I should make some diagrams with which I will show interaction (guess he doesn't know much about it either lol).[/font]

My question is: Can I use UML diagrams, like interaction overview diagram (collaboration diagram) or something else? Is there ''industry standard" in game development when it comes to making documentation and this kind of diagrams, or does game developers even use UML to visualize interaction within their game?[/font]

I really, really need help with this one, so I would appreciate if someone knows anything about it. [/font][color=#333333][font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]

Thanks[/font]

Can I use UML diagrams, like interaction overview diagram (collaboration diagram) or something else?[/quote]
Sure, I guess.

Is there ''industry standard" in game development when it comes to making documentation and this kind of diagrams, or does game developers even use UML to visualize interaction within their game?[/quote]
There's no industry standard and I rarely if ever see UML used in the industry.
Advertisement
I guess he just means some generic flowchart-type diagram which shows how your different game parts/classes interact together;

“If I understand the standard right it is legal and safe to do this but the resulting value could be anything.”

I use diagrams occasionally to help myself think through architecture or even complicated algorithms. I basically never draw formal UML diagrams. I use Lucidchart for that, but I may be slightly biased because I started that company.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement