Advertisement

Multiple development PC's

Started by February 29, 2012 11:18 PM
20 comments, last by SymphonyOfDream 12 years, 6 months ago

[quote name='Josh Petrie' timestamp='1330722763' post='4918703']
I use mercurial or git (I prefer mercurial) for code, or svn if I have to. Dropbox syncs my dotfiles and configurations and such.
Why not mercurial or git for dotfile/config as well? I've been using git for that with great results.
[/quote]

Because with a VCS, I have to remember to push or commit the changes before they are available elsewhere. With Dropbox and symlinks, this is automatic. I used to use Subversion to store dot files (ages before git was on the scene), and when doing so I never found a need to look at the history of the files either. VCS has always seemed like extra overhead for this process.

It's a little easier to bootstrap the initial dot file setup on a brand new machine, especially on a machine that typically uses actual dot files (*nix) because they tend to have git or hg already installed these days. So my approach to installing Dropbox and double-clicking a batch file or running a shell script to prime the symlinks does have more overhead. However, I switch between configured machines for more frequently than I set up brand new ones, so the extra overhead is worth it for the automatic sync I get from Dropbox.
I use git on windows -- the only real caveats with that are that there are some outstanding issues regarding filename case-sensitivity between Windows and *nix systems. Mercurial is also nice, and I would consider it more strongly if regular windows-*nix back-and-forth was a major concern for my previous project -- as it was at the time, I chose git because I had already used Mercurial before and wanted to try it out.

Fossil is another interesting distributed VCS -- interesting because it has an in-built, versioned WIKI and bug tracker.

Svn is the top-of-the-heap on the centralized systems as far as I'm concerned, though I prefer distributed since getting my head around it.

As far as OPs question, I like Hodgeman's solution of <favorite Distributed VCS here> + shared folder + network-mapped-drive + clone.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement
I use a 32mb USB memory stick between my work PC and my home PC (to work from home without having to take work pc home).

Works flawlessly.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement