Advertisement

Multiple development PC's

Started by February 29, 2012 11:18 PM
20 comments, last by SymphonyOfDream 12 years, 6 months ago
Does anyone else have a need to do there work on separate PC's? And if so what medium do you use for your files "synced". dropbox? simply use SVN? usb drive?

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

I've been using Unison for syncing up my writing projects, but so far I haven't needed to sync a lot in the realm of code. I tend to do small prototypes of a problem in isolation from my main development rig, and then manually weave it into a project after.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

and then manually weave it into a project after

Not a bad idea. I've never been good at working like that. maybe my skills should be refined.

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

The only thing I do on my netbook (code wise) is writing small snippets of stuff to solve little sub problems. Honestly I don't find it is that much of a step up from working out a solution to a problem on paper, and will still need fine tuning of things before can be added to an actual project.

I honestly don't consider myself a great developer, and any suggestions I give on development should be taken with a grain of salt. Possibly one you would consider offering a herd of horses.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
I asked for the method others used :). I guess a little more backstory on me is I go back and forth between my laptop and PC depending on what my kids are doing. Also there is days/months I end up only having my laptop with me on the job so while I am home with both my systems your method may work out for me. I just prefer to have my whole code base for testing if i finish a system or implement a feature i want to make sure something works.

But I digress all i really asked for was info on what other people did so thx for that.

To share code between my laptop and desktop, I use git.
On both PC's, I've shared the folder containing the code (i.e. containing the git repo) and mapped it on the other PC as network drive "[font=courier new,courier,monospace]x:\[/font]".
Then whenever I want to grab changes from the other machine, I can use [font=courier new,courier,monospace]git fetch file://x:[/font] , which pulls over the commits from the other PC into the local repo.
Advertisement
I have used SVN, though I'd try to avoid that as I have to make sure that the development tools I have between PCs match.
Git + Github + Dropbox and occasionally Cloud9. I work on projects on work laptop, personal laptop or on my macbook air and everything is in sync.
I use SVN with my projects and it works great for synching, but I dont switch PCs often so the main reason I use it is because I will, invariably, mess my code up beyond all recognition when refactoring and having that instant "revert" function saved my back on more than one occasion
Comrade, Listen! The Glorious Commonwealth's first Airship has been compromised! Who is the saboteur? Who can be saved? Uncover what the passengers are hiding and write the grisly conclusion of its final hours in an open-ended, player-driven adventure. Dziekujemy! -- Karaski: What Goes Up...
I use git. I always create a git repo to do whatever work I am doing simply for revision purposes. If I want to work on the project from other machines I clone the repo to my server. If I want to share the repo with others, I then clone it into a repo managed by gitosis on my server. If I want to 'put it out there' I clone it to github.

Yes, I am a git fanboy biggrin.png

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement