Advertisement

What the Frack?!

Started by February 19, 2012 02:03 PM
15 comments, last by swiftcoder 12 years, 6 months ago

I'd rather see a well written and thought out ten page paper which takes a semester to write than to see ten five paragraph essays writen on a weekly basis

And instead of teaching programming by starting with if statements and for loops, it would be better for students to just submit enterprise-grade, DMCA compliant, PCI-certified logistic solution that integrates with SAP module.
[/quote]
Just showing students if statements and for loops is equivalent to the five paragraph essay. The right way to teach programming to new students is to teach them how to gather software requirements, create a design, write the code, and test it. The problem with academic instruction for programming is that most assignments already have the requirements defined, are small enough where you don't have to design anything, and can just dive right into coding and testing. It's a bit of a disservice to students since those are valuable skills to pick up...and may even create the bad habit of 'code and fix' software development practices. In practice, the software requirements are hardly ever clear and the design is more complicated than what one person can keep in their head at once. The programming equivalent of a ten page essay paper is to have a list of requirements/deliverables, a design document or flow chart, and tested and working code.

And instead of teaching programming by starting with if statements and for loops, it would be better for students to just submit enterprise-grade, DMCA compliant, PCI-certified logistic solution that integrates with SAP module.

I think the point was more at a late-high school/college level. Writing is taught for 8 years before high school in the US, and there really isn't a reason to have such stringent requirements in the majority of English courses.

I have noticed though that some English teachers are tolerant of well written papers that break the required structure. Of course I've also had an English teacher that gave me a 17 out of 275 (no typo) on a 10 page final paper... <_<
Advertisement

I have noticed though that some English teachers are tolerant of well written papers that break the required structure. Of course I've also had an English teacher that gave me a 17 out of 275 (no typo) on a 10 page final paper...

If your essays are truly of sufficient quality, nobody but a complete ass is going to take you to task over minor requirements deviations (the same is not true in high school, where stated requirements are king).

As far as I can recall, I never adhered to the written rules for length, formatting or citation style on a single college essay, and I never received less than a B+ in return. Though I did have to fight one professor over British vs. American - c'est la vie.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Though I did have to fight one professor over British vs. American - c'est la vie.

Apologies for my curiosity, but I was not aware there was a difference?

Though I did have to fight one professor over British vs. American - c'est la vie.

Apologies for my curiosity, but I was not aware there was a difference?[/quote]
Well, for starters there are many spelling differences. The most common being the dropped 'u' (honor vs honour), and the substitution of 'z' for 's' (subsidize vs subsidise).

And Americans tend to still favour the first-line indent to delineate paragraphs, whereas Brits typically leave a blank carriage-feed instead. Then there's the Oxford Comma...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Well, for starters there are many spelling differences. The most common being the dropped 'u' (honor vs honour), and the substitution of 'z' for 's' (subsidize vs subsidise).

And Americans tend to still favour the first-line indent to delineate paragraphs, whereas Brits typically leave a blank carriage-feed instead. Then there's the Oxford Comma...

I totally misread what you said as:

hough I did have to fight one professor over British vs. American, "c'est la vie."
[/quote]

I thought you were talking about British and Americans thinking something different about the phrase, "c'est la vie."
Advertisement

I thought you were talking about British and Americans thinking something different about the phrase, "c'est la vie."

Well, we do put a bit more of a positive spin on it wink.png

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement