Advertisement

Changing armor models in MMORPG's

Started by February 17, 2012 12:01 PM
3 comments, last by swiftcoder 12 years, 7 months ago
Most if not all Mmorpg developers forbid tampering with files, now lets say that I did, how would they find out that I did? Im sure all armor models are client side, so how would they find out?

- Thank you for your time, any help will be appreciated.

Most if not all Mmorpg developers forbid tampering with files, now lets say that I did, how would they find out that I did? Im sure all armor models are client side, so how would they find out?

I will say that I am not giving you legal advice in any way, so see a lawyer if you want that. This is just my opinion.

I imagine for the most part they forbid tampering with files to protect themselves from any publicity fallout that might happen if a controversial mod broke out. They probably don't actually care that much.

That said they could probably do some sort of file diff during an update if they were really anal about it.
Advertisement
Just a guess: they could compute a hash of all the models each time the game starts and send these to the server. If they aren't correct, the connection is terminated. Or, if there are a lot of models, they could perform this check on a certain random subset of the models each time the game is started.
So its pretty much not worth it? Meh I guess ill just have to live with it.
Generally, they don't bother checking. Or they only check when an update is applied.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement