Advertisement

Would you pay to have a probe inserted into your skull?

Started by February 10, 2012 06:53 AM
31 comments, last by _mark_ 12 years, 7 months ago
I'm talking about a probe to be used for a brain computer interface. I've made a similar post in the past but before I was actually thinking of trying to develop the technology myself. Shortly after I made that post I realized to do that I would have to break a few major laws and get my hands on a few million dollars. So that's probably not going to happen but I thought about pitching the idea to investors. Personally if the price tag for the operation and prob were under $1000, and I could learn to play video games with the same proficiency I have with mouse and keyboard in under a month, I would buy it in a heart beat.

The applications for this technology would be almost unlimited. Neural and physical augmentations would quickly become possible. Video games would become more immersive than ever before. Also, the medical applications for paraplegics, amputees and individuals with spinal cord injuries could greatly improve so many lives. Beyond this it could unlock a whole new frontier of technological innovations which have yet to be seen.

As has become very evident throughout history the forces of supply and demand are the true driving force behind technological progress. The social climate of the time has a direct impact on the commercial viability of a product. For example electric vehicles have been a viable option for the past decade but only recently has the need for green technology been so clearly seen. The demand for this technology is only now making it commercially viable product.

I know this idea brings thoughts of medieval trepanning or brain surgery to mind but I assure you the process will be much less invasive. First a local anesthetic will be administered to the area just over the motor cortex. A slightly large needle sized probe will then be inserted into the skull and a small strip containing hundreds or thousands of electrodes will be unwrapped and lightly pressed against the area of the motor cortex. The probe head will then detach and remain in the skull allowing skin to heal over the area. After the operation an individual may then use a blue tooth like head set to wirelessly power and read from the probe. Here is what the probing device may look like.

Recently I feel the interest in this technology has slowly been improving and especially among gamers. Primarily I think this is due to the recent release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution which has allowed others to see the vision I've had for many years. I think the question of whether this technology will be accepted in our culture is not a matter of if but when. This leads me to wonder how much acceptance this idea currently has among people on this forum?
1. It's already being actively researched with animals as test subjects. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain%E2%80%93computer_interface)
2. It's better to have a device which is non-intrusive. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotiv)
Advertisement

I'm talking about a probe to be used for a brain computer interface. I've made a similar post in the past but before I was actually thinking of trying to develop the technology myself. Shortly after I made that post I realized to do that I would have to break a few major laws and get my hands on a few million dollars. So that's probably not going to happen but I thought about pitching the idea to investors.
I think the reason we don't have this yet is not that someone didn't think of the *idea* to do it. This is like the "I've got a great idea!" of Help Wanted, on a grand scale smile.png

I mean, are you saying the only thing stopping you creating the technology is money and laws? (Well, I mean obviously given sufficient time and money, one can simply pay a load of people to work on it, but you talk as if you already know how to do this and you just need an investor?)

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Probes? Give me x-ray vision in the right eye, and a shotgun in the left (activated by blinking command). Also I see a future in engineered glands that upon command releases relaxing or performance enhancing drugs into your blood stream.
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

1. It's already being actively researched with animals as test subjects. (http://en.wikipedia....puter_interface)

I'm fully aware that it is being researched on animals. However, one of my college text books seem to clearly indicate it is not a matter of who comes up with an idea but who actively markets the idea to consumers. There must be a demand in order for the technology to fully develop. Scientific inquiry can only go so far as to prove a theory to be true, but it is the entrepreneur who capitalizes on the idea which brings it to the masses.

2. It's better to have a device which is non-intrusive. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotiv)

EEG can only tell which parts of the brain are lighting up. For example in order to walk your character forward you may need to solve a math problem or recall a past event. It's simply not practical for real time or complex interaction.
I have issues upgrading my computer with hardware and software I consider unproven. And when it is proven I still don't want to upgrade because I know something better will come along. So my answer will have to be, no.
Advertisement

Probes? Give me x-ray vision in the right eye, and a shotgun in the left (activated by blinking command). Also I see a future in engineered glands that upon command releases relaxing or performance enhancing drugs into your blood stream.

No. Give me a gland that will release relaxing and enhancing drugs into someone else's bloodstream, and I smell profit, especially in the dating scene.

Stephen M. Webb
Professional Free Software Developer

would have to break a few major laws [...] thought about pitching the idea to investors.

Intracranial operation inserting the equivalent of an endoprothesis [...] price tag for the operation and prob were under $1000

I'm somewhat unsure which one is the funnier part.

Investors are stupid, but there's no way you can expect to find someone stupid enough to give you money on the base of "this is my genuinely original idea, basically as seen in Star Trek and Matrix, only better and for under 1000 dollars, oh and it's entirely illegal".
Plus, you cannot reasonably expect to have such a thing legally produced and sold (that is, including phase 1, 2, and 3 trials, and approved by FDA or a similar institution) for under 1000 dollars, nor a surgeon (who would have to pay a quite non-trivial amount of money for his indemnity insurance!) to do such an intervention for under 1000 dollars. Neither both of them together for under 1000 dollars.

Mass produced in China, you could probably get such a probe made for around 30-50 dollars (the self-unfolding microscopic tentacle stuff is still somewhat delicate, you probably won't get that done for 1.99 per unit). But then, who would want something that is attached with your cortex produced cheaply anyway. What if the child who put together that rig at the end of his 18 hour shift in the sweatshop didn't really care whether all the components are good, and still doesn't care when your brain "implodes". Heck, I'd really wish he had washed his hands, too. Ignoring paraplegics for a moment, who would want to take such an insane risk?
Even so, assuming you could mass-produce such a thing for 50 dollars tomorrow, the resale price would be rather 15,000 to 20,000 in order to cover trial and certification costs, taxes, insurances, and to make the pharma company that's behind it rich.

And then imagine walking near a strong inductive field generator such as it's found at every airport and in many public places nowadays. With a nice little antenna in your head, connected to your motoric cortex. Hopefully you never need a MRI later in your life, either.

[quote name='SteveDeFacto' timestamp='1328856782' post='4911583']would have to break a few major laws [...] thought about pitching the idea to investors.

Intracranial operation inserting the equivalent of an endoprothesis [...] price tag for the operation and prob were under $1000

I'm somewhat unsure which one is the funnier part.

Investors are stupid, but there's no way you can expect to find someone stupid enough to give you money on the base of "this is my genuinely original idea, basically as seen in Star Trek and Matrix, only better and for under 1000 dollars, oh and it's entirely illegal".
Plus, you cannot reasonably expect to have such a thing legally produced and sold (that is, including phase 1, 2, and 3 trials, and approved by FDA or a similar institution) for under 1000 dollars, nor a surgeon (who would have to pay a quite non-trivial amount of money for his indemnity insurance!) to do such an intervention for under 1000 dollars. Neither both of them together for under 1000 dollars.

Mass produced in China, you could probably get such a probe made for around 30-50 dollars (the self-unfolding microscopic tentacle stuff is still somewhat delicate, you probably won't get that done for 1.99 per unit). But then, who would want something that is attached with your cortex produced cheaply anyway. What if the child who put together that rig at the end of his 18 hour shift in the sweatshop didn't really care whether all the components are good, and still doesn't care when your brain "implodes". Heck, I'd really wish he had washed his hands, too. Ignoring paraplegics for a moment, who would want to take such an insane risk?
Even so, assuming you could mass-produce such a thing for 50 dollars tomorrow, the resale price would be rather 15,000 to 20,000 in order to cover trial and certification costs, taxes, insurances, and to make the pharma company that's behind it rich.

And then imagine walking near a strong inductive field generator such as it's found at every airport and in many public places nowadays. With a nice little antenna in your head, connected to your motoric cortex. Hopefully you never need a MRI later in your life, either.
[/quote]

Your points are valid, however, the prob can be removed if an MRI is necessary, and a warranty can cover the cost of a new prob. A strong inductive field may only cause you to twitch but the power would unlikely be enough to damage your brain. Though such a field could damage the probe but the warranty can cover that as well.
Who's fuckin with his medicine?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement