Advertisement

Anyone willing to mentor?

Started by February 01, 2012 01:17 AM
13 comments, last by way2lazy2care 12 years, 7 months ago
I'm just starting out learning c++ and I wanted to know if anyone is interested in helping me along! Im trying to learn the basics from this book called Begginning C++ Through Game Programming by Micheal Dawson but I would like someone who could maybe show me some more advanced skills or even just some things I should know about C++. I want someone who could introduce me to other programers and maybe even work on some projects to help me learn. I apologize in advance if this is not the thread I should be posting on for this kind of thing.
To be honest, asking for a "mentor" is a lot to ask for on a forum. GameDev.net is one of the most helpful communities I've seen on the interwebs though, so if you're stuck with a problem and have a question then there are a ton of people who would be more that happy to provide some help. I'd recommend spending some time on the "For Beginners" section of the forums for awhile.

Welcome to the site :)
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Advertisement
http://gmo.chronus.com/p/main/about

Check that site out. Don't know much about it right now but has been around for a few months already and seems to be moving forward well. I know some of the people behind it and trust it's worth looking into

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

I like the idea of the site but apparently I'm way too young to actually register . . . the reason I want a mentor is because I'm completely new to game programing and I have tons of questions and I want somebody who can help me with learning about the game development progresss. I want to work with and meet some other programers since right now I don't really know anyone who knows about game development or programming.
A potential problem with mentors is you might get someone who thinks he knowledgeable, and who you think is knowledgeable, but who really is mistaken in a great deal of areas, and passes on and ingrains those same mistakes into you.
If questions are asked in a public forum, people can see and correct the mistaken patterns and incorrect answers before they have a chance to be ingrained in you. Mentor-ship in private let's false information fester inside you, and provides no protection against less-then perfect mentors.

In the past, when you'd become apprenticed to someone like a blacksmith, that blacksmith would have a known reputation to those around him. You might not know the blacksmith personally, but you could ask around the town about the smith. He'd be known by his neighbors, and know by those he's worked with, and was hired by. He'd have a reputation, either good or bad. His personality, problems, and the quality of his work will be known. You would never take his own word as a testimony for himself, you'd always take two or more un-biased opinions of people who have actually interacted with that individual.

Right now, you might be receiving Private Messages from people willing to mentor you. It'd be a mistake to except the wisdom of someone you don't know and, being a newbie, unable to weigh and judge. They can use fancy terms, show screenshots of their work, and talk about how they did this or that... but unless they have a reputation that others can attest to, they aren't worth the risk of being mentored by. It's far too likely you'll get a rotten mentor who looks good on the surface to someone who is new to the field, then it is to get a good mentor who will accurately and effectively teach you. Sure you'll learn some good even from a poor mentor, but you'll certainly learn some bad as well, which will be very hard to undo, since you won't recognize it as bad until it bites you multiple times. wink.png

As an unrelated aside, if you are too young to register on the site it's because it has such rules in place for a reason - most likely for your protection (or to align itself with government regulations... which are put in place for: your protection). I know we all hate having "protection" forced on us, but we should understand the reason such rules exist, even if the implementation of the rules are flawed. If you are too young to sign up with a peer-reviewed, safe and protected site, you should be wary about seeking to have a personal and real relationship with some stranger online. I mean, sure, don't be paranoid, but don't be stupid either. smile.png
It's one thing to interact with people online, which is normally very safe, but you're asking for a personal, unmonitored, long-term relationship with a complete stranger, after openly expressing that you are of a young age, and inviting said stranger to contact you out of the blue.

So that's two reasons to avoid mentors:
1) Friendly people trying to be helpful, but are unintentionally doing invisible damage along with the visible help.
2) Friendly-seeming but malicious people openly deceiving you.

Reasons to seek help on forums:
1) Continuous, always-available help; even when a mentor might be asleep, a forum is always active.
2) Peer-reviewed knowledge. If one person doesn't know something, or incorrectly knows false/destructive information, the others can step in and provide facts to back up the real knowledge.
3) In one-on-one relationship, personal information is expected to flow, which is a big no-no at a young age, or even at an older age. With forums, personal information is expected not to flow [*].
4) You can still build up individual and personal relationships with individuals but aren't tied too strongly to one person if things go wrong, and the relationship builds more slowly (unlike the shotgun wedding of a mentor-protege relationship), which gives you time to find out whether it's a valuable relationship or not.
5) You still get the knowledge you want (but more refined and more succinct), when you want it (but faster, and at any time of the day or night).

So why not? We're happy to answer your questions... that's why this site exists. wink.png
As long as you ask smart questions, we don't care if you are just starting out or not.
I don't know if I feel comfortable with a 16 year old girl asking for a mentor in an online forum. The odds of a creep trying to take advantage of such an arrangement are fairly high...
Advertisement
I'll mentor you! Your first task is to clean my car, and paint my fence. Remember, up/down not left/right.
Don't thank me, thank the moon's gravitation pull! Post in My Journal and help me to not procrastinate!
Thanks I'll get started asking questions and such on the forum
At least , some general guidelines for a begginer to start would be usefull:
1- use MS VS 2005
2- learn how to compile a dynamic library and use it in a different module
3- pay attention to managing memory, (allocating and freeing)
4- learn pointers

Good start up would be a ToDo for you. As to a beginner I would give you following ToDo, that if gets finished, you will have gained experience: here:

Make a library that implements following object "CAlgebra" with following 5 functions:

void Add3dVectors(float* A,float* B, float* res); // writes result vector to res pointer
void Multiply3dVectorByScalar(float* A,float s, float* res); // writes result vector to res pointer
float Dot3dVectors(float* A,float* B); // returns dot product of two vectors
void NormalizeVector(float* A, float* res); // writes the result to res pointer
float Length(float* A); //returns length of a vector

Make a library that implements the class and use it in a different module (exe).

1- adding two vectors is adding their components together respectively, result is vector
2- multiplying a vector by number means multyplying every component by the number, result is vector
3- doting two vectors is multiplying their components respectively and sumed together then, result is a number
4- normalizing a vector means to have the same vector but with length 1, vector is normalized if x^2+y^2+z^2=1, you can normalize a vector by dividing every componet by length of the vector, length of a vector is computed as sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)

At least , some general guidelines for a begginer to start would be usefull:
1- use MS VS 2005

Why not VC++ Express Edition? It outclasses VS 2005 imo.

You should look into what student offers microsoft has available for you through their dreamspark program. You might be able to get a copy of VS 2010 for free, which would be pretty sweet.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement