Advertisement

Programming and working memory

Started by January 17, 2012 04:16 AM
4 comments, last by Instigator 12 years, 8 months ago
Hi!

I understand that programming is a fairly intensive memory task that requires great working memory (WM) to learn fast and work efficiently. I'm sure that every programmer can benefit their work performance by just increasing your WMability! After finding such apps, I came across "dual-n-back" which you can play practice/test here http://www.soakyourhead.com/dual-n-back.aspx .. so freaking frustrating at first! But I've found improvements in my ability to maintain focus with daily sessions after several weeks.

Any other sites I can use to help better myself?.. A digit span test could be healthy too!

.....Here is a great read on why WM is so important for programmers! http://www.gwern.net/DNB%20FAQ
Wait... I reported this, but then I noticed you have a lot of posts. Why does this read like a spam bot message.
Advertisement
My working memory sucks very hard and I can make programs and think out pretty complex algorithms. Paper and pen are invented already.
“With programmers, it’s especially hard. Productivity depends on being able to juggle a lot of little details in short term memory all at once. Any kind of interruption can cause these details to come crashing down. When you resume work, you can’t remember any of the details (like local variable names you were using, or where you were up to in implementing that search algorithm) and you have to keep looking these things up, which slows you down a lot until you get back up to speed.”[/quote]I find this quite accurate - when programming under the influence of drugs that reduce the size of my working-memory I can still program effectively, but at a much slower pace as I have to keep looking up function signatures, names, etc...
Wait... I reported this, but then I noticed you have a lot of posts. Why does this read like a spam bot message.[/quote]
I viewed the profile as well. It is the perfect infomercial line. "In JUST 3 weeks!"

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims

Sorry guys if you thought this was spam! Yeah .. I just have the worst memory ever and this game found on many different sites can help with your WM and Fluid Intelligence (Gf)... okay next time I'll work on the post wording lol

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement