Advertisement

Cat5 Custom Length: Canada?

Started by January 12, 2012 08:38 PM
8 comments, last by frob 12 years, 8 months ago
So my apartment appears to be no good for reliable wireless. It's fine for streaming and browsing, but I just got a new desktop for gaming, which is a little more dependent on the wireless not randomly cutting out. My thoughts are just to run Cat5e along the baseboard to my room and just use wire tacks to hold it in place(or Cat6? I think I need Cat5e, but I have no idea what is recommended/required for standard broadband connection?).

The problem I'm having is that I can't find any places that will cut Cat5e to length in canada, which is preferable to me so I don't have tons of extra cable. Does anyone know what the best way to go about this would be?

Can you just call an electrician and ask? If no, is there some kind of store I could expect to be able to do this? Would Home Depot/random hardware store do this? I have no point of reference on what the best way to go about getting custom length cable would be.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but google couldn't answer it to my satisfaction.
The max length for a cat 5 connection is around 90meters you could always make it yourself..it's not too difficult http://www.ertyu.org...rnetcables.html

You can probably get all you need off amazon.
Advertisement

The max length for a cat 5 connection is around 90meters you could always make it yourself..it's not too difficult http://www.ertyu.org...rnetcables.html

You can probably get all you need off amazon.

I only need 2 cables somewhere between 100-150 feet. I would make them myself if I expected I'd have to make more than 2 cables, but for just 2 cables I can't really justify the investment in a spool of bulk cable that's probably 5 times what I need, a crimper, and a tester. I'm expecting I'd pay around $50 for 2 cables vs the $150 I'd have to spend on a spool/crimper/tester.
Go for Cat5e.

Cat5 (non-e) has trouble at gigabit speeds at those lengths. Cat6 is not worth the money yet.

You can either buy the few cables you will need this once (2 x $20) , or you can buy a spool of cable and the tools; when I visited Home Depot yesterday they had Cat5e spools, 1000' for $75. You can probably find it cheaper online if you shop around but the cost is typical.

Ask yourself if these are the *ONLY* cables you are going to buy for a while.

You can spend $40 on these cables, then a few years from now buy one or two more small inexpensive cables. If you have no plans for cables in the future this can be a good choice. You don't need to deal with bad cuts, or bad lengths of cable, or the costs of storing the tools and cable. That can be cheaper if you only have a forseeable need for the few long cables and perhaps a few short cables.

If you are going to lay significant lengths, or if you want custom lengths, or if you will be creating a large batch of smaller patch cables, in that case you might as well invest in the tools and do your own bulk cable. You're looking around $100 to get started, plus the cost of storing the tools and leftover cable in your house forever. That $100 is still cheaper than buying the cables individually.

You can spend $40 on these cables, then a few years from now buy one or two more small inexpensive cables. If you have no plans for cables in the future this can be a good choice. You don't need to deal with bad cuts, or bad lengths of cable, or the costs of storing the tools and cable. That can be cheaper if you only have a forseeable need for the few long cables and perhaps a few short cables.

in this case whats the best route of purchase? I'm not positive of the length yet, but I know I'm not really a fan of having surplus cable coiled up all over the place, so I'd like it as close to the required length as possible, and I think the lengths I'd need 75-150ft aren't quite that standard to buy online.
Don't want spare cable just 'laying' around doing nothing for you? Make a lamp out of it!

Buy a cheap lamp kit, use the spool as the base for it.

The gear lasts forever, assuming you don't go do something stupid like losing it/loaning it to unreliable friends. And being able to do your own cables is a wonderful bit of freedom. And you get to be "The Man" for friends who are moving into a new place and setting up their systems. More so if you own a truck and can help move.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Advertisement

Don't want spare cable just 'laying' around doing nothing for you? Make a lamp out of it!

I think you misunderstood that part. I don't mind having a spool in my garage or somewhere else. It would be if I bought a 150ft patch cable (not a bulk spool, like a finished cat5 cable where both ends are being used) and only needed 110 ft. Then I'd have a spool of 40ft of cable somewhere in the run, and since I'm running all the cable out in the open/along baseboards it wouldn't look that great.

It would be if I bought a 150ft patch cable (not a bulk spool, like a finished cat5 cable where both ends are being used) and only needed 110 ft. Then I'd have a spool of 40ft of cable somewhere in the run, and since I'm running all the cable out in the open/along baseboards it wouldn't look that great.

Common lengths are 50ft, 100ft, and 250ft (which is a small spool). I don't think I've seen 150 before in a box. If you need custom lengths that is a sign you may want a spool to cut your own cable.

For lengths like you are describing you approach the breakeven point financially. Look at your future needs and see if that puts you over the line. Really it boils down to a personal decision on that.

As for having longer wire than you need, it can be handy to have an extra several feet (anywhere from 5-20) at the end of a long run like that. Coiling a bit of cord that reaches beyond your equipment is too long is easy; and it makes it easier when you pull the equipment out for maintenence. Extending a cord that is too short, not so much.
Cat 5e.. supports up to GigaByte speeds and look for bargains because Furture Shop / Best Buy will rape you on the cost of this!

Cat 5e.. supports up to GigaByte speeds and look for bargains because Furture Shop / Best Buy will rape you on the cost of this!

That's the wrong kind of stores.

Spools of wire is considered in the same vein as spools of telephone wire, spools of electrical wire, and various building construction supplies.

If you are buying a spool or long loop, visit a hardware store or building supply company.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement